Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 6 months ago

Can my wife get pregnant after removal of her fallopian tubes?

My wife is soon to have an operation to find out what she is suffering from. The worst case scenario says she will have to have her fallopian tubes removed. We are both only 22 years old and I am worried about our chances of having a child. They are slim I'm guessing. This factor is causing a strain for us because my wife is not herself. I just don't want my wife to think that I would ever abandon her just because I wanted children.

Favorite Answer

It would be extremely rare for her to need the removal of both tubes. Cancer aside, which they would've mentioned as a possibility, not a vague "finding out what she's suffering from," which would most likely be a hysterosalpingo-oophorectomy, and leave no chance whatsoever of conceiving.

Once both tubes are removed, while it is theoretically possible to conceive it's so rare as to be considered "virtually" impossible. One in maybe a ten billion chance, but we had one patient who had an ovary on one side with no tube, and a tube on the other side with no ovary and still conceived. Completely inexplicable, and I'm absolutely certain I'd never see it again even if I lived to be 500 years old.

Then, adopt a child. Problem solved.

If you love her enough, you will find a way to get her pregnant no matter what she has inside. Doctors know nothing about men and women.

The doctor can talk to her and to you about this.

You can also say to her: I'm with you for life, whether we have children or not.

• LizB

Withouth fallopian tubes the only way she'd be able to to get pregnant is via IVF.

• Pippin

Without tubes she would need IVF to get pregnant. (I AM a little puzzled as to what might be wrong with her. An ectopic pregnancy might necessitate the removal of ONE tube, but not both.) Fallopian tube cancer is VERY rare, especially in young woman, and is treated by removing the tube AND ovaries -- or a complete hysterectomy.)