Why do American people learn foreign languages if they already speak English?

Hello, I am Brazilian and my native language is Portuguese but I had to learn English because English is a world language most places in the world there are people who speak English. I learn English because this language is chic and is a world language, but if I were American I would never learn foreign languages... show more Hello, I am Brazilian and my native language is Portuguese but I had to learn English because English is a world language most places in the world there are people who speak English.
I learn English because this language is chic and is a world language, but if I were American I would never learn foreign languages because I would already be speaking a world language.
But back to the question, Why do so many Americans learn foreign languages when English is a world language?