How do doctors/hospital staff determine this?

The mind boggles at times when you hear of a woman having double mastectomy & being sent home the same day because there were no beds. Her Dr. told her she'd be in hospital 2-3 days. A neighbor of mine had laryngoscopy & a cyst removed from her throat, this morning yet she was being kept overnight.... show more The mind boggles at times when you hear of a woman having double mastectomy & being sent home the same day because there were no beds. Her Dr. told her she'd be in hospital 2-3 days. A neighbor of mine had laryngoscopy & a cyst removed from her throat, this morning yet she was being kept overnight. I'm having shoulder replacement within the next few months & I'm told I'll be released the next day!!! Go figure..I'll be in hospital the same length of time as my neighbor & my surgery is much more complex.
How is it decided who goes home the same day, who goes home the next day, or who stays a few days?