How much is fair to charge your daughter for rent at 18?

I am 18 years old and technically I still live at home. I work about 35 hours a week, and when I’m not at work I’m usually at my boyfriends house. When I am home, it’s to either clean or sleep so I can go back to work the next morning. I do take showers there, but I don’t eat any food or even use the TV. My mom thinks $150 a month is a good price to charge me for rent. I am not complaining, just wondering if others think this is fair :) and what would you charge your son/daughter?

More than just fair, a tremendous bargain. Thank her.

$150 a month seems cheap. They paid for you your whole life, stop being all about you and wondering if it’s fair.

• Kaitlyn4 months agoReport

i’m not being “all about me” i even said i wasn’t complaining...i’m just wondering how much everyone thinks is a fair price or what they’d charge their kid

That is a bargain and way cheaper then renting an apartment. Most apartments charge at least $500/month, but that all depends on where you live.

Sounds like an absolute bargain

We charge our children 10% of their monthly gross income, unless they are in school (college). This is a better deal than they could get anywhere else. But we want them to be accustomed to paying rent, like other adults.

I don't know where you live, but to arrive at a fair rent, look at craigslist in your area for rooms to rent in houses. Your parents might give you a discount off of that. How much you stay in the room or what resources you use are irrelevant. A stranger renting the room would pay the same whether they slept there every night or not, and a stranger would probably not be eating the family's food, either.

Look at the cost to get your own apartment, $150 is a steal.

A $150.00 a month is fair....

You'll never live so cheaply anywhere else.

wow $150 a month, my son pays $150 a week! Just shut up and pay it!

• 4 months agoReport

You are disgusting. You don’t even deserve a kid.

it sounds fair to me, its up to your parents how much they want to charge

It sounds like a decent price. You would pay so much more if you tried to move out.

What would I charge my son/daughter - nothing. My home is always open to my children to live with me for free anytime they want or need to do so. I only ask that they help keep things clean and respect me.