What sort of things can spy on your computer?

i read a question earlier where someone was claiming in this day and age many things can spy on you, on your computer including; your isp, your web browser, google, your operating system and other things.

it made me wonder what sort of things would spy on your computer now? on your personal laptop or desktop pc?, and what type of things would they spy on on a persons computer?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Adrian
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

"Spy" is a strong word. What happens is that a lot of firms and sites track your usage and surfing habits. That includes Google (big tracker firm), Microsoft (can track and monitor your usage) and many browsers can report your usage back to "home base".

The Internet is driven by advertising, and almost all web sites track your connections, where you have been before, how long since you last connected, etc., all via your cookies and scripts those web sites run. It is all for "profit" or making money.

You cannot hide....

• ...Show all comments
    • Adrian
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Not that you are hiding, what I meant was that one cannot easily hide their activity when surfing the web. Even with a VPN, some sites can still track your browser usage....

• Enigma
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Malware,spyware,viruses,keyloggers,etc.

• 6 months ago

Your web cam can be hacked if connected up. Anything with a camera can be hacked. Anyone with the skill set to manage it could do it. The government can do it as well. Everyone puts their entire lives online now and wonder why they're found so easily. Some apps and websites openly ask for permission for your location to be noted for lots of reasons. The various mistakes the owners of Facebook have made leads you to believe not even master programmers can protect you online. Your IP can indeed be tracked and in some cases users weren't made aware that their private IP was made public. For instance on Skype. There are also apps literally allowing strangers to take control of your entire computer. This basically the legal way to do it instead of dropping a virus that does things for the person who created the virus. You can have things dropped on your computer and not know they are there until some professional finds them. I got talking to a master in computing and she told me a story about how some family man found himself getting a virus on his PC. This particular virus amongst various things dropped disgusting images of under aged kids on his PC without him knowing it. Due to the slowed speed he took his PC in for repair only for the professional to find said images. This obviously the point to the disgusting virus. He spent years in jail pleading he had no idea those images were there. Hit men can hunt you down, your life can be sold off as black mail, it can be entirely deleted or destroyed if you run into the wrong people. Human trafficking can abduct people in the night. It's extremely easy to get somebody's address. The internet gets much worse than all these things though. It was the future the human race wasn't ready for and now its paying the price. There are some powerful firewalls and anti-virus programs out there. However if they come across something they've never seen before they wont know to block it out.

• Anonymous
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

A lot of BS here. Too much to go through and explain. But you might want to learn a little more about computer security before telling people this stuff.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.