Does criminal record go away after someone serves their time? How come it doesn't go away given the fact the person has served t?

Recently I wanted to learn more about law. I wanted to understand how criminal records work. I have heard from many people that criminal record stays sometime after the person served a time in prison, why ? Thank you for information to help me understand.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Best answer

In the US your record isn't going away. The reason is that the damage you did doesn't go away. You being punished for a crime doesn't make it go away.

• 3 months ago

If you murder someone and serve time but after that your still a murderer

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Your criminal record is permanent. If 50 years go by, the crime and punishment are still on your record.

"How come" it doesn't go away? Punishment doesn't guarantee you won't offend again.

• NiJo
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

It shouldn't. If you choose to commit a felony, it should be permanently noted.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

It never goes away, unless it can be legally removed ( only certain cases ), even if the person is later found innocent.

• 3 months ago

It stays on your record for ever, the time you spent in prison is the penalty for the crime.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

A criminal record is permanent.

The time served is your debt to society. It does not erase the crime that was committed.

• 3 months ago

Nope, you are marked for life, unless you are a juvenile.

• 3 months ago

Because serving time doesn't make you a UNrob a bank, or UNcommit a crime.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

I think it’s 7 years before it’s cleared if no crimes have been committed in that space. Pretty sure rape, murder and armed robberies are permanent records.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.