My wifi connection keeps failing and i dont know how to fix it.?

I can log in to my wifi network on my desktop computer and the page i want will load but when i try to click on a link on that page, the connection drops and i have no wifi connection. I have to then go to the network connections settings and select my network and connect to it again... and then it happens all over again. How can i fix this?

By the way... my laptop connects and stays connected just fine, which leads me to believe it is something with the desktop computer

• GTB

Your wireless signal is way too weak to do the job; run a wired CAT6 line to your router's network switch and hard wire the pc as it works faster anyway.

• David

You may be getting interference from neighbouring wireless signals.

1)Change the broadcast channel on the router to channel to a less congested one than the current. You can download netstumbler or inssider (google them) and they will display the broadcast channels of any neighbouring wifi networks

2)Turn off any baby alarms cordless phones wireless doorbells as these use the same 2.4Ghz frequency

3)Update the firmware of the router and drivers for your PC/laptop

4) You may be at the limits of the wifi range, how many bars of signal strength ?- does the same thing happen if you are close to the router

5) What sort of adapter are you using?, the tiny USB wifi nano adapters do require a strong signal to work well, and I've never been a fan of wifi cards with an external aerial next to the back of a large area of metal case blocking part of the signal

6)It could be a flakey adapter

HTH

David

• Roddy

It sounds as if you either have a flaky wifi source or the signal is too week at the location of your computer. You may be able to install a wifi extender to boost the signal.

Is it possible to run an ethernet cable from your router to your desktop computer? If so, then you will get a faster and more reliable connection that way.

If you cannot run a physical ethernet cable, consider a Powerline Adaptor as that too will give a more reliable connection.

Is the desktop connected to the modem/router via an Ethernet or WiFi connection. And if Ethernet, is it through an Ethernet powerline adapter?? If Ethernet, ensure the cable is not suffering from data attenuation (loss of signal from longer lengths not supported in that category of cable) and that the cable is at least CAT5E or higher. If it's a WiFi connection, ensure there is minimal obstruction between the desktop and WiFi/Router, there is no firewall blocking inbound/outbound connections for this desktop on the router, and the device drivers for your network adapters are updated.

You can also try to update the device drivers for both the Ethernet and WiFi adapters to see if that helps at all.