Exhaust has broke in half. Can I apply a fiber flex heat wrap and a exhaust clamp over that to seal better, or will it not cure correctly?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You CAN do that, but it's not a permanent fix. The ONLY way to repair a broken exhaust is to replace it with new parts.

• 6 months ago

Go to NAPA and buy a 4" metal sleeve clamp.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • M.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Fiber flex heat wrap?

What is it?

Exhaust has broke in half?

Do you mean a pipe or a manifold?

We used to use a soup can and 2 radiator hose clamps for a temporary pipe joiner.

If a manifold broke, weld it or replace it.

There are other, more sensible, longer lasting ways to repair exhaust pipes.

Is yours broken or rotten (rusted)??

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• ...Show all comments
    • M.
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Ok. You can't fix rust. Cut out a piece (if there is good metal nearby) and weld in a piece. Or replace the whole tailpipe. Somewhere you need good metal to attach to.

• 6 months ago

I’ve watched vids with clamps and they hold the whole way through with exhaust cut... but, over top of a wrap, will it cure correctly?

Attachment image
    • Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

good question; likely it would solidify ok, might take longer though; important to stop fume leakages; maybe can replace that section of the system, or splice in some bends with clamps: enough strength to hold together is required, so depends on condition, & on strength of the patches

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Evil C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It's like putting a bandaid on a broken arm. It will only get you by for a short while but you're gonna need to bring it into the shop.

• 6 months ago

The heat wrap will not survive the vibration/torsion the exhaust goes through. You will have to get it repaired or replaced.

Take it into an exhaust shop and ask if they could do a quick weld to the exhaust pipe for you.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

all night long I dreamed of a muffler and tailpipe . I woke up exhausted .

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.