Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

I'm trying to write a novel accurately about a Muslim girl in high school and I don't want to misrepresent. Could I get some advice?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Logan
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Get a contact who is a Muslim girl. Do lots of research and know your subject inside and out.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Learn about Islam. There are many books, websites and videos about Islam and the Muslim experiences in North America and Europe.

Talk to Muslims. There may be an Islam Community Centre in your city. Do you have high school friends who are Muslims and will answer your questions?

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

What worries me more about this kind of situation is that yes, of course she should ask, and of course a lot of people will be happy to answer her questions, but what about the questions it never occurs to her to ask, or that it never occurs to them to mention?

• 6 months ago

Do you actually KNOW any Muslim girls? There are so many ways you could get this wrong, not from advice that people DO give you, but from what it never even occurs to them to give you.

Honestly, best advice: DON'T.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Suggest you give your MC an exotic branch of Islam, such as Ahmadiyya; along with usual girl-in-high-school dramas and humors, it could be interesting for MC to show a distinct branch of Islam, perhaps as other characters project e.g. Sunni or Shia stereotypes on her, and she could show the variety within Islam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_schools_and_...

Or maybe she's a student of Meher Baba: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sufism_Reoriented

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Amber
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Muslims live in many different ways and have different levels of belief. Either stick to what you know or do some serious research.

XxX

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Saying that you're "trying to write a novel accurately about a Muslim girl" is like saying that you're trying to write a story about a girl with brown eyes. There are over a billion Muslims in the world. Obviously, there's bound to be a lot of variation to the way they live. If you don't know that, you're off to a poor start.

I'm Catholic. How would you write a story about a Catholic person? Would he or she observe every tradition and obey every rule and attend church services every Sunday? That wouldn't be very accurate.

Write whatever you want to write. But if you plan to make the work available to other people, you had better make sure that it's at least somewhat believable.

• ...Show all comments
    • Andrew
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I mean, you could bring your pet rock with you to Mass every Sunday. Would that make it Catholic?

• 6 months ago

Well the classic advice is to "write what you know about" but even that can be gotten around with enough research.

• 6 months ago

Sure, name her Aicha.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.