Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 4 months ago

Does changing one letter in your password make it more secure?

I’ve heard you should have different passwords for different websites you use. Is changing one letter or number a secure way to prevent being hacked on websites?

Example: abc123h

Example 2: abc123r

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

My password are all the same batman1964.

• 4 months ago

Better to change 1 to 2 letters in the password for more secure, longer passwords are always secure...

• 4 months ago

Changing one letter won't make it more secure. It must be a big bother going that extra mile which costs nothing.Make all your passwords completely different from one another. At least 8 characters,and for banking at least 12 characters.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Hahaha!

To each his own.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pete L
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

Never use such obvious passwords as sequential letters and numbers, it's too easy to guess. A good password should be a random selection of letters (both upper case and lower case), punctuation marks and numbers. For instance FTrg.wm5S27,evzP.

• 4 months ago

Longer passwords are far more secure. Changing one letter won't really help. In your scenario, changing it to abc123hi would be better.

• 4 months ago

There's an old saying: "a locked door keeps honest people out".

So, no, making a change does NOT make your password more secure.

I used to be a hacker (ethical) and part of my job was to ensure security of whole systems, including websites. Every password (and even encoding) can be broken, given enough time and information. But the longer the password, the harder it is to break.

The real trick to making it harder to break is to make the password as random as possible, but still easy enough to remember. But even the most random one can be deduced with enough time and power.

• J.S.
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

Yes, changing one letter does make a more secured password, though it is ideal that you change two letters instead of just one.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.