Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

Just replaced steering rack, can the steering wheel shaft and rack input shaft be adjusted ?

Just replaced the rack on my 2008 civic coupe and the steering wheel needs to rotate about 4 inches to the right so I can center the rack and adjust both tie rods and align it.

To clarify I want to be able to turn the steering wheel and center it without The u joint turning the input shaft... without having to drop the whole rack again

You're going to mess up the clock spring if you don't put it on correctly. There also may be a steering angle sensor that you'll mess up.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Nick6 months agoReport

That’s what I figured, it’s already being overextended when I turn to the left. I removed the wheel and turned the clock spring to the position the wheel is supposed to sit. Seems fine right now

• Bill

In the olden days we just removed the nut in the center of the steering wheel, removed the wheel and then reinstalled it centered on the splines.. Nowadays, it is more complicated but the same idea applies..

You need to be aware of any air bag and how to uninstall it, and any wiring. If you don't have a shop manual for you vehicle, get one. The exact procedure varies by manufacturer, model, age, etc.

Might ask at a auto alignment shop, they do it all the time.