Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 6 months ago

Why are Americans so freaked out by topless women?

I often sun topless to avoid tan lines. I'm studying in ohio and looked up that it is legal here. I know it isn't many places in america, which is silly. The police got several calls about me. A policeman came to discuss it with me, but left after confirming that it was legal.

They are just boobs. No one's head should explode. Why would anyone call the police?

Do you watch American television? In two hours you can see six people violently murdered but not one woman's breast. And then you hear people ask "What's all with all the mass shootings?"

• Alesha

I agree with you 100%, I don't quite understand it either. A lot of it is that the U.S. was originally settled by a bunch of religious fanatics who were obsessed with breasts, that attitude has colored everything ever since. As opposed to this Australia was originally settled as a penal colony, it has engendered a whole different attitude on the subject. Women were going topless on Bondi Beach before they were doing it in Europe.

We're Puritans.

I'm Not. I Dig it.

But, I've gone to nude beaches, resorts, wet tee-shirt contests at Biker Runs. What God gave you is nothing to be ashamed of. Watch that sunburn !

I actually Dig tan lines. Sexy..

Jealousy ......................

Because most Americans are extremely uptight and prudish. Which is ironic seeing that the USA has such an active porn industry.

• Road Warrior6 months agoReport

Porn is Everywhere. Especially exotic in staid countries like Japan. Just because not touted so publicly in many countries does not mean it doesn't also exist in profusion. Hindu cults carved the Kama Sutra on temples, the sexual positions.

In Europe they told me that Americans are Victorian! I guess they're not wrong. I lived in France. People walk down the hotel hallway naked to go to the shower (small hotel). It's no big deal.

Because they are sexualized by our society. It is almost the same as going bottomless.

I have lived in eight countries in addition to the USA and visited another 40 or so. I have never seen women topless except at the beach or inside a sauna. I have never seen a topless woman at a public swimming pool - not even at a hotel's indoor pool in Europe.

However, being topless is somewhat common at the beach (a public area) in Europe so people are not "freaked out" by it in that circumstance. If you mean you want to sun bathe topless in your back yard in the USA then use some common sense and arrange for privacy screens. That will ensure no one is "freaked out" and the police won't be called.

It is not possible to write a law in the USA that makes it illegal for women to be topless in public while allowing men to be topless. Being not illegal does not mean it's a good idea to go topless in public. Note it is socially unacceptable in the USA for men to be topless except at the beach/pool or when engaged in some sports.

The kids......................... Your the one who is pissy because you don’t want to have public decency.