Robin
Robin asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

why does a meat eater have to cater for avegetarian but a vegitarian never caters for a meat eater?

I hope people get over the “I am a vegetarian” trend.

• Cara

Meat eaters don't have to eat meat at every meal.

I have a couple of vegetarian friends who would always include a meat dish when they invited me round, but eventually I managed to persuade them that it wasn't at all necessary. While I would miss my lamb chops or roast pork if I could never eat them again, OF COURSE it's no hardship not to eat meat when a guest in a vegetarian household.

And like many people these days, I find I'm eating less meat ANYWAY, of my own volition.

• willy6 months agoReport

How can you not see this is an obvious TROLL!

Every vegetarian I know is happy to do a meat dish when entertaining carnivores. So it could just be that you know some rude vegetarians.

• susan

It depends on why they are vegetarians. If someone considers it unethical to eat meat, then I would understand them not wanting to serve meat either.

• susan

You can eat a dish that doesn't contain meat. They can"t eat a dish with meat. If by "cater to vegetarians" you mean serve something that they can eat as part of the meal you are hosting, then the answer is, because they are your guest, and it is polite to do so.

My friends who are vegetarians entertain a friend and I, both who are omnivores, and always give us meat dishes

I guess you mean “a person who follows an ordinary diet” - a “meat eater” is another name for a carnivorous animal.

They don't “have to” but if I invited a vegetarian to my home for a meal it would be rather rude and insulting to serve them meat. Why would I want to do that? In the same way, if I knew someone was allergic to peanuts or shell fish then I wouldn't serve them those things. We have a friend who I know dislikes lamb. If she’s coming for a meal we don't serve lamb. We don't “have” to do this but we choose to.

If I'm invited to a vegetarian's home then I expect to be fed vegetarian dishes because that's what they eat. If I went to the home of someone allergic to nuts then I would be very surprised fo be served anything with nuts in it. If I dined with, say, people originally from India or China - people who had retained some of their culture - I wouldn't expect, or want, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding or a burger.

I don't think that a French person who loved snails and frogs' legs would expect to be served them in an English home where these things aren't even considered “food” by most people.

As a non-vegetarian, I have no problem with vegetarian food - most of what I eat is vegetarian. I'd expect a vegetarian WOULD have trouble with non-vegetarian food though.

Because as an omnivore your diet isnt as restrictive. Plus some vegetarians can become very sick after eating meat

I'll tell you why friend and it's straight out of the Bible if you having greater faith are able to eat meat and to eat vegetables you must not look down upon your brother of lesser faith who can only believe in eating vegetables. the Bible says that a man that can only eat vegetables because of his conscience has less faith then a man that can eat anything that God has provided. and because we have a little bit of greater faith that God has given to us we're supposed to help the man that has a weaker faith. Let him have his way so that he is not stumbled. When we're away from those kind of people we can feel free to eat all the food that God has provided to us. But in the presence of the man that has weaker faith we are to cater to that man so that he is not stumbled. it won't harm you to do without meat for a meal or so.

cause the vegetarian dont want to cater to them