What type of buisness can I start with 10k?

I'm 22 years old and I have no gf no kids. I've saved this amount since I was 18. I know its not a lot. Well I think for my age it is. Anyways I didnt go to college but I have a decent job. I'm not working minimum wage or am I rich. Anyways what's a buisness that is worth pursuing. I honestly have no passions except helping people. If I run my own buisness customer service will be my priority. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Service business is the cheapest to start so list your skills and abilities.

Do you know how to do anything special, better than most people? Are you a strong healthy young man who can do hard labor? Do you own any equipment already like a truck and trailer?

Who would you like to serve and how will you sell your services? Look at landscaping, gutter cleaning, window washing, junk hauling, brush clearing, handyman services, painting, interior and exterior, auto repair, rototilling, snow removal, leaf removal, sidewalk and patio repair or replace. What matches your abilities and equipment, can you sell it?

There are lots of types of businesses that don’t require anywhere near $10k to start. I’ve created S corps for the $70 filing fee, opened a business checking account with $100 for an opening balance, then offered my services to several companies and got right to work. I was an IT consultant, specializing in public/private clouds, server virtualization and data center consolidation. When I started, I was one of very few people in my area who was VM Ware certified, and cloud computing was really taking off.

I have created other businesses over the years, like I started a company to sell super bowl merchandise when it came to my town, then folded it right after the event was over. I have run an eBay business since 2004 also.

If I wasn’t into buying and selling, and didn’t have technical skills that were in demand, I would probably start construction contracting company. It doesn’t matter which type as long as I think I could do the work. There is enough local construction to find work.

Cleaning service maybe?

Your perfect business idea should have:

Something that drives you ahead

Something that you feel passionately about

Something that is in demand

Something your bank account can afford without accruing heavy loss

Once you are dead sure that you want to start something for yourself, you need to channelize your future ideas and start brainstorming on how to start a business with minimum capital. Imagine that proud moment when you finally start your full-time venture and let go of your mundane job. All this you can do by investing just 10k or even less.

• John

"I dunno, what could I sink 10 grand into that I no nothing about?" Far easier to just take it into the backyard and burn it. The worst possible thing you could do is what you ask. I started with 15 years of professional experience, some of it in management, and $40K. That was 36 years ago so that is $60K in today's dollars. And I worked like a dog for 5 years getting it up and running.

First off you have to go to college to start a business and and getting a business licence is not easy either. I'm not putting you down in anyway I think if you put your mind to it you could! I suggest doing some research of your own on schools, businesses, and starting a business.

Source(s): Business Marketing major in college.
    • Dave6 months agoReport

Tayler, you just dispensed terrible advice. What are you talking about stating you have to go to college to start a business?
      I suggest you do some research on dispensing horribly wrong advice. Perhaps it would be wiser to go to college, but tell that to Bill Gates and Paul Allen, and many others!

• denise

You say you like helping people, An Idea could be that you learn / read up on an advice bureau [like citizens advisory]. Maybe you could rent an office for a 'help agency', employing another 2 or 3 people that have experience and knowledge in different areas, just part-time hours for the personnel and the office hours?.

It may even be possible to get a grant, as you would be providing a service.

• Judy

What kind of business do you know enough about to start and run? Cleaning houses? You don't just start a business, you start some specific business. Sounds like for now at least you should keep your job.

• DON W

The $10K is best put aside as your emergency fund, to be used if you lose your job or get into financial or legal trouble. Also, what happens if you get sick, or your vehicle needs expensive repairs?

Be aware that most small businesses fail, leaving you with nothing.

If you need to ask us for ideas you are domed to failure. You can't just 'magic' a successful business out of thin air. You need a sound idea coupled to a feasible business plan. If you are set on running a business you should attend a business studies course at your local college. Then at least you will be better prepared for the problems that will arise.

• Tavy

Your priority should be making money to pay your bills.

No one here can help because you have not listed any skills.

10K won't last long in the UK