Layne
Layne asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 6 months ago

Can a teacher force a student to do gymnastics because she is afraid and has poor balance?

Muscle strain and weakness. Should the parents intervene and can the student get detention?

I do as much stuff as I can that does not require that kind of activity. I walk a lot too. I am going to try and play softball. I fell a few times last time but maybe I should stretch more.

Favorite Answer

If it is PE/gym class and the unit is gymnastics the student would be required to participate unless there was a 504 plan stating that you are unable. If not, it would be a good idea to have a parent get involved and see if there are any options. If a students just says I don't want to because I am afraid and have poor balance, it simply sounds like and excuse which could be used in any situation you don't feel like doing (giving a presentation, doing a science lab, etc)

• bluebellbkk

Asker, a '504 plan' in the US is a system where a student with a genuine medical condition, who needs to be exempted from normal school rules, is examined by a doctor, who provides a certificate for the school which is then obliged by law to allow the these exemptions

Back in the 1980s my mother gave me a note to give to my teacher about maybe the same disability you have for why I couldn't tie my school tie because I was being made to write 20 times every day "I must wear my tie." Once I thought to ask my mother for a letter about it I didn't have to wear it or write the lines any more and that was 1985 but it was a very good nice school. Still if I could get that in 1985 you'd think today they would be even more accepting of your disability but on the other hand what I didn't know then is that being forced to do these things can help you improve so you might want to take that into consideration about whether you're just being stretched a little beyond your comfort zone and it might be good for you or whether you whether it's really waaaay too much for you.

Nope not a chance in heaven.

• John P

Depends on the law and general practice where you are. Different countries, different laws. If there is a problem ask to see the head teacher.

If you genuinely have poor balance, you get a doctor's note and your parents send this to the school.

Just telling the teacher you don't want to is not good enough.

• bluebellbkk

Chae-Won, you're making a huge problem out of this .It can be easily resolved by getting a doctor's certificate. How is that 'treating you like a child' any more than having your friends cover for you? You have a medical problem, and a doctor can certify that you cannot be made to do gymnastics.

• KLB

whoa, tell your parents immediately

You need Medical Exemption. A school cannot go against a doctor's advice without making itself culpable in the event of an incident.

• Layne

Thank you.

The parents and student have to sign up. A teacher can recommend something like this. But can not force you. A school or district however can require a student to do this.

• bluebellbkk

Chae-won, we get it. How is it possible your parents haven't already informed your school formally about your condition? Get onto that immediately.