Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 3 months ago

Why are there so many misogynistic questions in this section lately?

Because there are more laymen here just looking to bash the opposite gender (plenty of misandry here too) than there are Gender Studies majors looking to discuss the latest research and peer reviewed studies. They should rename this section and remove it from the Social Science umbrella.

Lately? this section used to be called Women's Studies. MRAs got them to change it to Gender because they hate women so much they couldn't even stand for us to have our own section. It's always been a misogynist hellhole.

• liz

I agree with the last sentence though, anon. Its always been bad.

They figured out how to manipulate your news feed to influence your opinions and beliefs. This is why social media is bad ever since the gubbermint discovered how they can benefit from it.

• Elana

As an anti-feminist, I admit, I've noticed a *LOT* of misogynous questions here. It's as if the act of questioning society's gynocentricity enables trolls and misogynstic bigots to come out from under their rocks.

There is a *HUGE* difference between wondering why women shouldn't be required to sign up for selective service and saying that women are not good for anything other than sex, and maybe childcare and should be home in the kitchen. The latter is either trolling or no-class misogyny.

We regularly get questions here asking whether women should ever have been given the vote, as an example.

Its much rarer that we see questions wondering why we haven't gotten rid of 90% of them men, for instance.

Don't get me wrong: In my view, we are definitely a gynecentric society, doing much more to protect and enable women in all avenues of their life, leaving men pretty much on their own to fend for themselves while depending on men to do the unpleasant and dangerous tasks that make humanity tick - but this particular venue is riddled, absolutely riddled with misogyny. I try to call people on it, but I feel like a rowboat in a tsunami.

It may be just a sign of the resentment that's been building in men for a long time, but it would be far more effective it was both eloquent and actually fact full.

You mean misandrist?

"Why are there so many misogynistic questions in this section lately?"

There isn't?!? I have just scanned the entire first page that's up right now and cannot see any --woman hating-- questions at all. And that is the proper definition of the word. So the only reason one might believe there to be "so many" misogynistic questions would be because the words "misogynistic" must have been redefined.

This is way too common now. "Misogyny" is becoming anything that just disagrees with a feminist perspective for too many people. That is neither truthful, nor helpful for any conversations regarding the genders. Hilariously, the term "misandry" doesn't even exist at all in the mainstream. Seriously! Just try putting the word "misandrist" in your Y/A answer and watch the autocorrect highlight the word with no proper substitution.

.

• liz

It’s hard to tell if it’s more than the normal level. I wouldn’t want to be involved in establishing the baseline as it has to be pretty high. GS attracts a lot of people with serious issues about women.

• liz

It’s not just that plenty of ( apparent) men posting have issues with women. It’s that a large proportion of all users are one nugget short of a happy meal.