Should I go talk to her parents before a breakup?

I have been dating this girl for almost 2 years and now she’s trying to break up with me. I won’t get into the why, that’s a whole other story. But I’ve always tried to be good to her and her family and made a point to spend a lot of time with them. If she does end up leaving me, I’d like to know if I should reach out to her parents and say I’m sorry and goodbye. Is that appropriate or would that just complicate things?

I’m already heartbroken as it is, I just don’t want them to think I’m a bad person I guess and to thank them.

Favorite Answer

No you do not talk to them BEFORE a break-up. Your relationship problems are private.

As far as after goes, no, I don't think it's appropriate to "break up" with her parents either, and an apology is plain weird unless you did something to them that deserves an apology.

I think it's better just to send them a holiday card this winter and smile/be polite if you see them in the grocery store or something like that.

This is not a divorce. You are NOT family, and the only reason you even know her parents is because you've been dating her.

• Kelly

Nah, that's pretty unusual. Just deal with the breakup and move forward with life. If you see them in public, assuming your break up is on good terms, say hello. If it's not and they know the reason for the break up, go the other way.

Why would you apologize to her parents? You were dating their daughter, not the parents. You owe them nothing.

Whatever happened in your relationship was personal between you and your ex girlfriend. Not you two plus her parents.

I'm sure they don't think you're a bad person. I have kids, they had relationships which ended on a sour note.... i didn't sit around thinking how terrible my kids' exes were.

NO!!!!!!!!! Do not reach out to the parents as part of the break up.

• Iam

It is certainly unusual, it really depends on how strong your relationship with them is. They probably won't expect it.

But it probably won't hurt.