Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 6 months ago

Why do his family think he's a minor or too young for me?

He's 25 and I'm 34. I'm 3 months pregnant by him and we're in a relationship. We were friends prior to this for 4 years. His family acts as if he's a minor and I trapped or forced him into a relationship with a baby when in reality he begged for a relationship and wanted a baby with ME. He can vouch for me and admit he's the one who wanted a relationship and baby with me and my age NEVER bothered him. So what's their problem?

• Edna
    Favorite Answer

Why do you CARE what his family thinks? You are both adults!

• M.

What does HE think/say about the way his family is?

When I was 26 I had a 36 year old gf, so I know what such a relationship feels like.

No one dreams of their 25 year-old son being the father to a baby born out of a secure, legally binding relationship. They probably think he's too young to be a dad and they probably rightfully worry that you two are going to break up and they won't have the relationship with their grandchild they'd hoped. It's likely less your age than the fact that you're not in a stable marriage that's the problem for them.

Because he's THEIR baby and they obviously had plans for him which didn't include an older daughter in law. They will get over it - especially after the baby is born. He's 25 so near enough mature and he's known you a long time. As long as you didn't start the relationship to stop him begging and actually wanted it for yourself, then why worry? You don't need to PROVE anything. He doesn't have to vouch for you in any way at all. You are his partner and you are starting a family together. That's all. I suggest you attempt to have a better relationship with his family. Ask their advice about babies etc.....always helps. You've been on the scene for some time now so I assume you know them well? Cultivate them. It makes for an easier life for YOU....and him. You don't have to live with them or in their pockets. Just be nice and pleasant towards them at all times so they can't accuse you of being not only old but rude and horrible as well. You should be Mrs. Nice as Pie and what a good wife she is to our baby boy despite her age.(yeh - it'll be a long time before they get over that.....but that's THEIR problem, not yours or his.) Good luck.

• Alan H

You do not say how long you have been in the relationship

That is relevant to their concern

Alarm bells would ring if you were pregnant within 3/4 weeks

sounds like he's a momma boy

They’re obvious skeptical about the endurance of your relationship and worry for their grandchild and son. Time will assuage their concern, and hopefully he’ll rise to the responsibility of fatherhood and your partnership.

You are both adults, there comes a time when he has to break away from his mothers apron strings.

If he can vouch for you and say he is the one who wanted a relationship and a baby with you and your age NEVER mattered, he ought to start doing it. Apparently his family thinks you are a cradle robber and he's too young for you and a baby.

Girl, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with y’all’s age gap! You both are grown adults, been friends for 4 years, and have mutual love for each other. It’s not like he’s 25 and you’re 55. It’s only a 9 year difference. Not all families will accept a little gap like that. I’m sure his parents will eventually become accepting of it one day, and if not then screw it. As long as you both are happy together that’s all that matters as frustrating as it might be for you wanting them to accept the age gap, some parents are just stubborn of who their sons and daughters are with. Just keep a level mind and don’t let it get you down too much and just give them some time. I wish you, your man, and your baby the very best ! :) and I hope this helped even just a little bit <3