Why doesn’t my husband want a divorce anymore?

I am a Muslim and I came to the USA from Iraq in 2002, as an immigrant. My husband was born and raised in the USA. He belongs to a rich family. He is highly educated, good looking, and arrogant. I am belong to a middle class family. I am not highly educated because my family couldn't afford to send me to... show more I am a Muslim and I came to the USA from Iraq in 2002, as an immigrant. My husband was born and raised in the USA. He belongs to a rich family. He is highly educated, good looking, and arrogant. I am belong to a middle class family. I am not highly educated because my family couldn't afford to send me to college. I am just a high school graduate. My father-in-law, who is deceased now suffered from cancer. He was a very nice man. He asked my parents for my hand in marriage, for his son. My parents agreed. Thinking that my husband is rich, highly educated, and good looking, they said yes. My parents thought they are making the right decision for me.

But my husband used to look down upon me. He used to tell me that after he father dies, he will divorce me! I didn't know what to do? I didn't tell anyone anything. Despite everything, I did everything for my husband and his ailing father. I cook, do laundry and clean the house because that is all I can do. My husband and I never had sex! I never cheated on my husband but I am not sure about him! Since, my father-in-law has passed away, my husband has completely changed! He is so much nicer and caring now! He says, I don't want a divorce anymore! He says, he wants to remain married to me because he loves me. Why has he changed his decision? He is asking me to give him a chance. Why did he change his decision?