promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

List the deficiencies a vegan diet causes?

Theres at least a million nutrients vegans dont get. I'm gonna give you the best answer if you can name some of them.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favourite answer

Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, Creatine, Carnosine, DHA, Taurine,

However, you can Google how vegans find work-arounds for these:

B12 - plant milks, soy and cereals. D3 - quite difficult but lichens provide it. Creatine is also a difficult one as if you won't eat meat you need supplements and they may include animal products and therefore animal 'abuse'

DHA is hard work because plant sources require extra 'work' to change it into a useable form. Taurine is one that they tend to fudge the issue over because the body produces small amounts of it anyway.

Calcium can be an issue too for these reasons:

"Calcium absorption from milk and other dairy products is about 32%, whereas calcium absorption from vegetables ranges from about 5% in spinach to more than 60% in some brassica vegetables such as broccoli. However, the high bioavailability of calcium from some vegetables cannot overcome their low calcium content"

So if you want to go Vegan then you need to have an active analytical and non-drug-addled brain in order to keep on top of making all the necessary changes and sticking to them. Dump the political extremism over hate of farming, and you just might make it sustainable and get to stay vegan like thousands of others have.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

There aren't a million nutrients at all.

And it doesn't cause any deficiencies if you don't let that happen by eating correctly

• ...Show all comments
    • M'aiq The liar
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

That actually is the point. I asked you what the difference was between most people being dependent on meat which depends on supplements and just eating supplements. You lied to me and said it doesn't happen. I easily get all of those things, so do you. So what's the difference..?

• 9 months ago

no, not a million.

The nutrients they don't get are associated with animal products.

For most of those there are the same in plant matter but not for all.

B 12 is the big one as is vitamin D. they tell you vitamin D can be had from the sun which is true, except if you live in the northern hemisphere where the sun isn't high enough in the sky for roughly 8 months of the year. That is why D is added to milk and other dairy foods because calcium and D go hand in hand.

Iron can be an issue of the vegan doesn't plan their meals well. Ditto calcium.

some vegans chose to supplement, some chose to select vegan foods that already have these nutrients added.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

A sensible vegan makes sure their diet isn't deficient in the nutrients they need.

A typical vegan diet is certainly NOT lacking “a million nutrients”.

Vegans whose diet makes them lacking in certain nutrients simply need to consume fortified foods (which most people do anyway) or take supplements which, effectively, become part of the vegan's diet.

Added, in what way is my answer “incorrect” Thomas?

• Thomas9 months agoReport

This is incorrect.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Katie
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

The one that immediately comes to my mind is CALCIUM - found in dairy products.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.