Is it weird to tell my girlfriend I love her if we’ve only been dating for a week, but we’ve been best friends for 4 years?

• Jim

No- 4 years is a long time. It doesn't matter if you've only been "dating" for a week.

I can't say -- you've known her for a long time, and i'm guessing it would depend upon the closeness of your friendship before you started dating.

not really...................

I don't get what you think is the difference between "dating" and being best friends.

If you have been TRULY a best friend then she would already know that you love her.

She isn't totally retarded. And you cannot hide love. It shows in all those little things.

So stick to something more real. If you have had a great evening with her, tell her that.

If you have been enjoying the company or conversation admit it. Let her know what it is that you find appealing.

If she is interested she will then do MORE of that with you.

Eventually you will know if she really does want to hear you tell her you love her.

But words themselves are cheap. They mean nothing. It is ACTIONS that actually speak.

• Brian

I'd wait a bit however you've been close friends for 4 years so it wouldn't be too weird. If you didn't know her like that prior than it'd be creepy as you'd come off as being clingy.

• PR

It would not be weird, but if you've only been dating for one week, and want to retain your friendship, you might think about this. See how the actual "dating" part goes. If it isn't working as well as you might have expected then having told her you love her might mess up the actual friendship.

In other words: If the dating part does't work out, do you still want to remain friends? How do you think she feels? Test the waters out and see if she indicates her feelings are as strong as yours are in this matter.

Each individual is different, but I would see how the dating part actually goes - but I would certainly not wait another four years. A few months might be long enough - but also don't wait your life away. How old are you, by the way? Are you young, in high school, or are you much older?

And, why has it actually taken you so long to begin dating?

I would wait... Because being friends and being in a relationship are two different things and two different kinds of love. They way you treat each other is different as well. It's a different relationship so you have to treat it as new one even though it's someone you know. Honestly wait that one out and if you get lucky she will say it first lol

If it were me, I wouldn't think 1 week is too soon considering you've been best friends for so long. My male best friend and I have said I love you and we aren't even dating. That's my personal view though, everyone may have different boundaries so it might be best to just ask her about it and see how she feels. If it's an uncomfortable topic for her then best to hold off on saying it until she feels ready <3

Why would it be weird?