Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 6 months ago

Does a mans age matter when it comes to fertility?

Im 24 and would like to wait until i am atleast 30 (i would like to focus on my career) before having kids but my husband is 59 and i have heard of some men having kids when they are older but im not sure if its realistic to assume that he will be able to 5-10 years from now. He is very healthy, doesn’t smoke, exersises most days and only occasionally drinks.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • LizB
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, the man's age does matter, and it's a complete and total myth that men remain fertile until they die. Fact is, men are most fertile from ages 15-25 -- same as women. Men's fertility starts to decline around age 30 -- same as women. Female fertility takes a sharp decline around age 35, men's fertility around age 39. Fathers older than 40 take longer to conceive on average and are more likely to father children with chromosomal abnormalities. This can be mitigated some if they have a younger partner, but not entirely. With your husband being as old as he is, his sperm count and quality is not going to be even remotely as good as that of a man closer to your own age. You may have difficulties in conceiving naturally, if you're able to conceive with him at all.

• ...Show all comments
    • LizB
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Men sure do like to believe they're fertile forever just because [insert male celebrity here] was a rare statistical outlier. Sad, really.

• 6 months ago

Men can have children at any age. That said, the chance of your child having schizophrenia doubles when your husband is older than 45. I suggest some genetic counseling.

I think it's a great idea to wait until you're 30. You will learn so much in the next six years.

• 6 months ago

Visit a fertility clinic. There are a number of factors that can influence the fertility of both men and women with age being one of them. For all you know (touch wood), you could be infertile yourself. It's best to just seek the advice of a medical professional as they can let you know how fertile you are and your chances of conceiving. You can always adopt if you have issues, Good luck :)

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Even now the chances of having a baby that will have learning disabilities, physical disabilities, mongoloid or autism spectrum problems are higher then normal. A man's sperm gets old and weaker with age. A woman's the same after 35.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Well, fertility will drop off slightly with age, but men can and have fathered children well into their 80s, and there's really no point where a normally fertile and healthy male will be rendered infertile entirely by age, so its not something you should have to worry about.

• 6 months ago

Men CAN father kids well into old age provided they produce enough sperm of adequate quality. What they can't really do at that age is be the kind a dad a child needs and deserves. Sperm quality declines with age and some developmental problems in children are related to the age of the parents. You are at a good age for reproduction. The longer you leave it, the less ideal it becomes.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Unlike women, men don't go into menopause so AFAIK, men are fertile until the day they die unless they get a disease down there that somehow affects sperm production.

• 6 months ago

no it does not matter

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.