Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

What's a good Terrier breed for a first time Terrier owner?

Not a first time dog owner but as a first time TERRIER dog being owned.

Just to let you all know that I'm not giving out the TD and I really appreciate the suggestions especially with the Border Terrier being a popular choice with three of y'all so far! :)

I will also tell you =>Border Terrier (from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE) around a LOT of them at my local kennel club classes & tracking tests. Even though small, I saw one WILLING & ABLE to go over large, fallen trees, in woods - while getting a TDX. At that point, I said if I eventually HAVE to get a smaller dog, this might just work!

I have sporting dogs - love their willingness to please & versatility and work ethic. BT are one of the few child-friendly, terrier breeds I've found that you can do lots of things WITH, like tracking, agility, as well as fairly competitive obedience, nose work, barn hunts, and rally. Some will even retrieve!! The coat does need to be stripped but (unlike many terriers) is a low, or non-shed type; better for allergies or housecleaning purposes!

Boston Terrier, Norfolk Terrier, Yorkshire Terrier are listed as a good dog for a first time dog owners. Many other breeds listed but these are on the only Terriers.

• J C

Depends. What sort of activities do you have planned? And what other pets do you own? Some terrier breeds have very high prey drive - like Jack Russel Terriers - and are not safe in a home with cats and small pets. If you want a small terrier, there are Rat Terriers (which might be my first choice) and then of course the small "ornamental" ones like Yorkies. These aren't just "useless" dogs - I have a friend with 4, and she competes in both agility and obedience with them - those little dogs practically fly! Other choices might include the Border Terrier as others have suggested. Most terriers though need a job to do - agility and a sport called "barn hunt" would suit them well.

Terriers come in all shapes and sizes it would depend on what training and activities you have in mind for the terrier. Put simply. My last terrier was a lakeland and an excellent little rabbit terrier he was indeed-

I'd go with Border Terrier too except my only first hand experience with them was with one who lived up the road and he wasn't good with other dogs, especially males - but I think you'd find the same with most of the terrier breeds.

Before I lived for 2 years with some people breeding them, I used to think Jackies were yappy dogs, inclined not to be nice with people. That all changed when I experienced their's - they bred them and they were really nice, if escape artists - when possible they'd get out to be found around the chick pens (pheasants) locally and incurred the wrath of the local game-keeper. I still find Jackies in general, noisy.

Most terrier breeds are intelligent, and make great vermin exterminators.

@ Jojo - Nowt so queer as folks eh. Maybe we should have added a link eh Lorraine .....

• Jojo

I think the same as Lorraine.....A Border Terrier. I have GSD`s but if as I get older I find a GSD a bit too much, I would seriously consider getting a BT.

They make nice pets and are easy to train.

I would say something like a Border Terrier... lovely little dogs.

https://thehappypuppysite.com/border-terrier/