Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 6 months ago

Are there any types of onions that are less likely to make one cry while cutting them than others? Please describe all types. Thanks.?

Green onions. Cut any onions under water the round yellow or white bulbs. Or the reddish purple ones.

• denise

Scallions, chives and leeks, are mild, they should'nt cause crying.

I find red onions are'nt as strong as brown / white onions.

Shallots can be mild or strong, depending on their size.

• Mark

"Sweet" onions. But you can reduce "crying" by either refrigerating the onion first or cutting it under running water.

no.

I find that smaller onions seem stronger than large ones. Even in the same bag of onions the same size, some are VERY strong and some are not.

I spent 25 years as a chef chopping onions by hand or in a food chopper and they all make you cry.

Its one reason chefs are so fast at it: to get it over with as quick as possible.

You do become used to it somewhat.

The two that bother me the least are red onions and Spanish onions. But I think it is going to be up to the sensitivity of the person who is cutting them as to how much the onion bothers them.

• Bear

Use leeks or shallots.

• patty

keep the onions in the fridge for a while. then u don't cry. or wear some goggles.