Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 6 months ago

Are there any types of onions that are less likely to make one cry while cutting them than others? Please describe all types. Thanks.?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Green onions. Cut any onions under water the round yellow or white bulbs. Or the reddish purple ones.

• denise
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Scallions, chives and leeks, are mild, they should'nt cause crying.

I find red onions are'nt as strong as brown / white onions.

Shallots can be mild or strong, depending on their size.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

"Sweet" onions. But you can reduce "crying" by either refrigerating the onion first or cutting it under running water.

• 6 months ago

no.

I find that smaller onions seem stronger than large ones. Even in the same bag of onions the same size, some are VERY strong and some are not.

I spent 25 years as a chef chopping onions by hand or in a food chopper and they all make you cry.

Its one reason chefs are so fast at it: to get it over with as quick as possible.

You do become used to it somewhat.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

The two that bother me the least are red onions and Spanish onions. But I think it is going to be up to the sensitivity of the person who is cutting them as to how much the onion bothers them.

• Bear
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Use leeks or shallots.

• patty
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

keep the onions in the fridge for a while. then u don't cry. or wear some goggles.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.