Who would be the most knowlegeable person about the Christian religion?

For several years I havent been able to decide if I am a believer or not. I want to believe, I've been taught to believe, but there is just way too much I dont understand and way too many inconsistencies about christianity. I've decided I need to sit down and talk to somebody about it for a few hours and get some questions answered before I can make a permanent decision if I am a believer or not. I'm not asking for one particular person, I'm asking if I walk into a church who should I ask to talk to. Thanks for any input.

Something I've been realizing the last few days is how important it is to be willing to talk directly to God, and not a human being sometimes. I'm not telling you not to talk to people too at some point, but God Himself is the only one that can guide you to completely true answers, so why not start by taking your questions and concerns to Him?

If you walk into one of our churches, ask to speak to our missionaries or our bishop. That's the best approach I know of.

• Paul

There are thousands of conflicting beliefs among the thousands of manmade denominations of Protestantism. Which is why Jesus Christ founded just one Church, said it was to remain one, and promised that one Church "The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth", and "Whatsoever you bind upon Earth is bound in Heaven", and "He who hears you hears Me". Which is why that one Church remains one in belief, one in teaching, one in worship, one in biblical understanding throughout the world after 2,000 years, with no conflicting denominations. If you want to avoid inconsistencies and false beliefs, make an appointment to speak with any Catholic priest.

Either the minister or an elder......if the church is big use a communication card and someone will get back to you whos knowledgeable

• yesmar

It could be debatable who would know more about the religion, but if you want to know about Jesus and the Father, I'll be glad to talk with you, neighbor. It's been my experience that following Jesus, and Christianity, are not the same thing.

Source(s): Jesus follower

Young man, your problem is not getting knowledge about a religion, but learning what it is that is the huge barrier between you and God. That barrier is your sin, because God is holy and cannot look upon sin (Habakkuk 1:13). If nobody has yet taught you about why sin prevents you drawing close to God, you are just paddling around the periphery. Only when a person discovers the burden of their sin and cries out to God to deliver them from it will God and Christ become real to you.

That is because heart-felt anguish about our sin is something God causes (if a person is sincere about Him, and not merely religion). The Holy Spirit was sent into our world after Jesus returned to Heaven, to convict sinners of their sin, that they might flee to Christ for deliverance. Read John 14 verse 15 to the end of the chapter.

Once the Holy Spirit causes you to feel the burden of your sin, then (and only then) will you cry out to God in anguish at how hideous your sin is, knowing that that is what alienates you from your Maker. And at the very point where you determine to confess your sin and trust only in what God has done to save you, will that burden of sin be lifted up from you. God will lift it up and away, once and for all, when you trust in what He did - in Christ - to deal with the horror of your sin. Consider the Psalmist's cry:

"Blessed is he whose transgression is uplifted, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. When I kept silent, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me: my moisture was turned into the drought of summer. Selah. I acknowledged my sin to you and my iniquity I did not hide. I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord' and you lifted up the burden of my sin. Selah."

Pray to God to teach you by the Holy Spirit what that means, asking in the name of Jesus, that it might be your experience. If you dare. Until you do, you will only ever be playing at religion.

• Bill-M

The first thing you should learn about Christianity = There are over 1000 denominations and each has slightly different beliefs. Catholics are a lot different from Protestants. You should be asking your question about a Denomination of Christianity.

• Annsan_In_Him

Denominations are irrelevant when a person gets answers from Jesus Christ, as He gives them in the New Testament. Once a person belong to Christ, by faith, they become part of the Church He builds, and it has no denominational tag.

To be honest, if you are having those feelings then I don't think a regular preacher is going to do anything other than reinforce them! You'd probably be much better off talking to someone who has dedicated their life to Christianity but not as a preacher - so if you have nuns in your community that might be a good place to start!

*Atheist trying to properly and sympathetically answer the question.

• mimi

The pastor, I suppose, or maybe it would be easier to meet with a deacon. Some larger churches have counseling services where you can make appointments. Make sure you are reading the Bible regularly (there are study bibles to help with explanations) and praying for the Holy Spirit to guide you and help you understand. If you want to believe, don't worry, it WILL happen. Jesus said "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened (Matthew 7:7-8)". These websites are also helpful

https://www.gotquestions.org

https://coldcasechristianity.com

Perhaps you should sit down and talk to God

• Annsan_In_Him

When you pray you also have to listen for the answer which rarely comes quickly. Even God's prophet Jeremiah had to wait 10 days for God's specific answer to a specific prayer. Ask God to show you your sin and what He will do to deal with that, through what Jesus has already done. Dare to pray THAT