Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

1995 GMC Sierra gage lights out. How can I fix this?

A few months ago, I got a 1995 GMC Sierra. The gage lights (Speedometer, oil gage, gas gage, etc.) don't work, so I can't see them in the dark (I use the top light in my truck if using at night.) The top light gets me by and works ok but it's very annoying. How can I find out the issue of the lights being out? Could it just be burned out bulbs? Other lights on my dash work (for example, the low oil symbol or battery symbol, etc.) The only lights on my dash that don't work are the gages. How can I see if the bulbs are burned out?Is this a cheap fix?

Bulbs don't last forever, though they can be tough. Look in a repair manual to find out how to access the bulbs you need to replace. First check the fuses for the gauges so if you don't have to tear down the dash you save all that sweat and tears.

• JetDoc

Have you tried rotating the headlight switch to adjust the brightness of the dash lights?

• paul h

Check for a blown fuse...the #9 fuse for parking lights seems to also power the dash lights. If the fuse is ok, then it could be burned out bulbs or a bad ground circuit for the dash lighting printed circuit.or the dimmer switch is bad Next step would be to check the dimmer and bulbs.If those check ok, then it could be a faulty ground circuit or the printed circuit may be fried in spots.

.https://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/threads/97-dash-...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfre7PlTfiA

Youtube thumbnail

• Evil C

What Richard said. Although it is possible for all the gauge lights to be burnt out, it's not very likely that they're all out at the same time. But stranger things have happened.

IF they ALL don't work, more likely the gauge light dimmer rheostat on the head light switch is bad .........................

• falconry2

There can be a crack in the board too, that will affect the whole dash light system. And there is a fuse specific to the dash lights. Newer ones had a worse problem.