How come some people get welfare and others don't?

I work at a warehouse with some 60+ women who work their butts off for a living. Why does the government give out a free living to some women in their 30's but not ones who actually deserve it? Seems like a pretty screwed up system to me.

Older people are often less likely to apply for public benefits because they grew up in a time when that was considered shameful.

• Judith

The vast majority of people who receive welfare receive SSI Aged which is paid to the poor who are age 65 and above. SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income and it is a federal welfare program.

• Alan

It might come as a great shock to you that not all those who claim welfare are lazy or leeches from the state. There are as many variations of individual need as there are individuals. No two recipients of welfare have exactly the same circumstances.

While there may be quite a large number of lazy, bone idle people who have no intention of working and happily leech from the taxpayer, there are also large numbers of people in genuine need who are victims of circumstances beyond their control. To put everyone who claims welfare in the same basket is a huge mistake.

Just as you get the ultra greedy rich who avoid paying their fair share of taxes, while most rich people pay their fair share, you get the same from the opposite end of the spectrum. But to judge everyone and tar everyone with the same brush is totally unfair.

the younger ones are raising the next generation of deadbeat dads and welfare moms ... and it is, technically, the kids who receive welfare [in most states]

• Judith

Because those who receive welfare assistance have income and resources are under allowable amounts when considering the size and age of family members who live in the household.

Other than children, many adults who are entitled to one type of welfare or another; e.g. SSI (supplemental security income which is a federal welfare program receive benefits) because they are either severely disabled and unable to be gainfully employed or they are aged - SSI Aged - age 65 or older. More people in the US receive SSI Aged benefits then any other type of welfare benefit. SSI is handled by the Social Security Administration even though it is not a social security benefit.

Some people who get social security and/or SSI benefits also work. However, they are usually people who are unskilled and are unable to maintain full time employment. Those benefits supplement their earnings and those benefits are reduced because of their earnings.

Just because someone works hard at minimum wage jobs doesn't mean that they should be subsidized by the taxpayer. If they have the intelligence they should consider taking some classes and obtaining some skills so that they could get higher paying jobs.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

Maybe if the white women painted their face black they would get the parental treatment

• Dze

the govt wants everybody to be a dumb worthless sack of sht and be dependent on them .. a working person thats independent and doesnt need them frightens them and threatens their position ..

Because the government is shady

I'm not sure, but l have mixed feelings on that. l have a friend who's a single mom who works three jobs and just barely gets by. She doesn't receive government assistance and works very hard. I have another friend who is widowed. She has a nursing degree and worked as a nurse, but she developed terrible epilepsy. She couldn't hold down a job because she was having multiple seizures everyday. She even tried working at grocery stores, and they also had to let her go because she was dropping things and having violent seizures in front of everyone. In her case, I don't see very many other options besides welfare, although she did get some help from charities for some time.

I have been employed since I was 14 years old. Owned my own company for 20 years self employed. I don't know what you are talking about.

• 5 months agoReport

Not in the slightest. I pay taxes to the IRS. I consider it a privilege to work and pay taxes in the USA. I don't worry myself with what American losers do.

Very very very screwed up, but the Republican solution is just throw people in jail