How does my family and I rent an apartment with no credit on a fixed income of $2,500 per month?

We live in California and have been living out of motels for years ever since we abandoned our house we lived in our whole life because we couldn t afford the mortgage anymore. My mom never used a credit card in her life, and no one will let us rent an apartment without credit. Our rent range is anywhere from... show more We live in California and have been living out of motels for years ever since we abandoned our house we lived in our whole life because we couldn t afford the mortgage anymore. My mom never used a credit card in her life, and no one will let us rent an apartment without credit.

Our rent range is anywhere from $0-$1,200 and there is plenty of places in this range where we live.

Long story short since I am too exhausted to write anything further; and just want to go to sleep; Mom now wants to apply for a credit card, doesn't know how or how long it will take to build credit and establish the card, wants it done as quick as possible.