Is it normal for your father to be rude and say hurtful things when he doesn't agree with your decision?

I am a current college student who still lives at home with her parents. Tonight, I asked my parents if I could go out with friends to another state after (God forbid) 9:00 PM (please, not the sarcasm). My father said he didn't think I should go. When I calmly asked him where his opinion was coming from, he... show more I am a current college student who still lives at home with her parents. Tonight, I asked my parents if I could go out with friends to another state after (God forbid) 9:00 PM (please, not the sarcasm).

My father said he didn't think I should go. When I calmly asked him where his opinion was coming from, he flipped out, claimed that I was arguing with him, and proceeded to say a lot of unrepeatable and unmentionable things to me. He told me that if I wanted to go, then I could (in much more colorful language), but that if something bad happened to me, I shouldn't go crawling back home to him.

Mind you, I have rarely ever gone out late. All through college I never hung out with friends past 8:00 PM because my father was so unproductive. Even in all my time in college so far, I can count the number of times I have stayed out late on one hand.

So, the point I am trying to make here, is, if this is normal behavior for a parent?
Update: I would just like to add that I have always been a good daughter, I always did well in school and listened to everything my parents have told me. My father has just always been very overprotective and it has seriously impeded my social growth and development in high school and even now in college. I don't... show more I would just like to add that I have always been a good daughter, I always did well in school and listened to everything my parents have told me. My father has just always been very overprotective and it has seriously impeded my social growth and development in high school and even now in college.

I don't understand where his reaction came from. He started the conversation off in an angry manner and things only got worse once I calmly and politely questioned where his opinion was coming from.