Should I be careful about letting my 13 year old hang out with a girl who doesn’t receive adequate supervision?

My daughter’s new friend lives in a big foster group home. They met at our neighbourhood park over the summer. When I first met her, something seemed a little strange about her. Her foster home doesn’t seem to supervise her based on the life stories that she’s told my daughter. Besides, she doesn’t even live in our... show more My daughter’s new friend lives in a big foster group home. They met at our neighbourhood park over the summer. When I first met her, something seemed a little strange about her. Her foster home doesn’t seem to supervise her based on the life stories that she’s told my daughter. Besides, she doesn’t even live in our neighbourhood - why is she at our nearby park alone so often?? My daughter and her school friend both thinks she’s interesting. She is so different from all the other friendships that my daughter had. As a mother, I’m worried that this young girl might be a safety threat. If no one is looking out for her, then she’s vulnerable to sexual abuse and drugs. Once a child is lured to such evil acts, the abusers often force the child to help lure other kids in too. The girl could possibly introduce dangerous people to my own child. School doesn’t start until early September so I can’t have her occupied with homework yet. We aren’t going on any short vacations that would take her time away from that girl. Me, my husband and another set of parents didn’t expect our two daughters to encounter a child from such a broken environment.
5 answers 5