Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 6 months ago

I can’t take much more of living here unemployed?

My husband and I moved to a new beach town in April 2017. We both had great jobs things were going well we purchased a home. In July 2017 my company went bankrupt and I lost my job. In October 2017 we lost our home in a fire. I was thankfully during that time able to find a temporary job until December 2017. For basically all of 2018 I couldn’t find work. I taught as an adjunct professor at a local college for the spring and worked at a summer camp during the summer. In December 2018 my husband was in a terrible car accident and almost died. This year has been not so good either. I did find work in May but was notified last week that our department was closing and we are all being laid off October 1st.

I can’t take much more of this. I have never in my life felt so depressed. I’m constantly fighting with my husband, I don’t even want to be in this town anymore, I have pretty much given up on looking for employment at this point I’ve become so discouraged, we are struggling tremendously financially.

He refuses to move out of this area because he loves living by the beach. Every night I take 3-5 Benadryl to make myself pass out so I can forget about all of this. I’m so miserable I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

• Ana

Tell him either you move to a place that can actually get jobs, or you file for divorce

Your husband is being unreasonable and foolish. You need to make it clear you won’t be a part of such foolishness any longer. I think deep down even HE knows he’s being foolish.

i understand your husband - I also love to live at the beach. if u think u move away from the beach and all colleges will stand in queue to hire u as a professor with only master degree u re terribly mistaken. u should settle for any teaching job, or change the career. if nobody wants to hire u as a teacher where u live why do u think they will somewhere else. they have their own struggling teachers on low salaries. my suggestion u change your attitude towards life all together. if life gives u lemons u make lemonade, not just suck on those lemons. and about losing smthing material in accident - this is what the insurance is for. and if u can not find a job and do not want to enjoy your free time living your life try to find some other employment - if u re a teacher u might work as a secretary

• Ricky

S heeeeeeeeiiiiitttt I thought I had it the worst. I'm here complaining that I don't have a gf, yet theres other ppl that are worse than me. I have a 100 k job living with my parents paying half the rent and giving them for food. I have a Tesla and I'm all here depressed lol. Plus I have only one real friend. Well my only advice I can give you is for you to move out and start a new life. A fresh start. You can do it without your husband or with him. I mean c'mon since everything is pretty much wrecked start somewhere new

• i + i

You have not said if your husband is employed

or not (only that he had a near fatal wreck). He

may love living near the beach, but from what

you described it apparently isn't even remotely

a viable option to remain there. Since living near

the beach seems more important to him than the

well being of your 'family', he is giving you a clear

message as to his priorities. Perhaps it is time for

you to discuss openly and honestly where things

appear to be headed if he sticks to this fantasy.

You implied that if you didn't remain in your beach town, your employment (& his) opportunities would be much greater, which is probably the case. You have certainly had all kinds of things happen that would cause depression, of course. I do think that his refusal to move is juvenile and irresponsible, and that he needs to understand and accept that this is not the place or time in his life to be at the beach full time. You may need to clarify with him, that not following up on job searches elsewhere could be a deal breaker between you. Hon, you need to survive! If I were you, I'd also start looking wherever the jobs are, and if one becomes available and he still resists, well....up to you. Good wishes,

Is going back into education any kinda option? I don't know if you need it just saying it's something to do and could lead to something. Wait no that's stupid.

What about seeking work everywhere then move to wherever you get employment.