Can I Still Send a Debt Validation Letter, If I Recently Opened a Collection Letter From a Year Ago?

I recently moved back home from a different state and was given a box of mail from mostly last year. A notice from a collection agency was sent to me as of now a year ago(going by the date the letter says 8/2018). On top of that I recently found out that I was affected by the Equifax breach. Now I’m in panic mode!... show more I recently moved back home from a different state and was given a box of mail from mostly last year. A notice from a collection agency was sent to me as of now a year ago(going by the date the letter says 8/2018). On top of that I recently found out that I was affected by the Equifax breach. Now I’m in panic mode! I want to send a debt validation letter because I don’t feel like this debt was mine and if it is I want PROOF! Please Help, I want to buy a house in 2-3 years I don’t want anything BAD on my credit report.... if I can still send one, do I put the day I opened the letter or the date they sent it.