Homeowners' association property manager billed me $1200+ for an OLD smoke detector and gave me a fake invoice: fraud?

In my homeowners' association, all homes are on a community-wide smoke alarm system. Based on an online search, each new smoke alarm costs $330.

My property manager:

* Billed me $1200+ for the smoke detector plus installation and related work

* At first, didn't give me an invoice; instead, the property manager gave me an internal email saying, "we used an old smoke detector- just bill him $1200+".

* Later, gave me a piece of paper that the property manager said was an invoice for the smoke detector. But it wasn't- it was a quote for buying a new smoke detector, which wasn't what was used in my property.

So I was charged a brand-new price for an old smoke detector.

Then I was given varying reasons for the price, including a piece of paper passed off as an "invoice", but it wasn't an invoice, and it wasn't for the smoke detector that was used for me.

How mad would you be?

Would you consider this mess dishonesty by the property manager? Or fraud?

file a complaint with the state or city housing regulators

AFAIK you do not own the smoke detector. It is part of the structure like the kitchen sink SO it is to protect their investment in the building.

In other words it should cost you $0.00 You are not taking the kitchen sink or the bathtub when you leave, so the detector stays there too.

It is a big complaint you can bring up with the HOA and they know what I say is true. They can't charge you for FORK all.

If the PM manages to get money from you, that is his BEER MONEY. Gotten for free from you because you are gullible and a sucker and won't stand up for your rights. He also cannot give you the "boot" because you complain to the HOA. That is just a scare tactic they use to get you to shut up and pay up. Some are real az holes. You JUST be a BIGGER ONE. They will fold. Or get fired as they are employees of the HOA

Owner of rental properties that I rent out. The smoke detectors belong to the building, not the tenant.

It's dishonesty AND fraud.

But you're the helpless type.

A smoke detector has a date of manufacture on it.

Take him to landlord-tenant court.

I assume you broke the smoke detector otherwise you shouldn't have to pay for it. If it is down to you stick out for the invoice or receipt. Even if they sue you a judge would insist on seeing a receipt.

There's no way I would pay without a copy of the receipt.

Being angry doesn't help, unless it motivates you to take the proper action in addressing the matter with the homeowner's association, or taking them to small claims court.

My smoke detector cost about $30. They are committing fraud. Do not pay and take it to the association. Keep copies of everything .

• Droopy

i wouldn't be made because I'd never live in a HOA.

• Steve

Definite fraud! Take him to small claims court. Even $330 dollars is an OUTRAGEOUS amount for a smoke detector.

Don't forget that the property manager works for the association. Complain directly to the homeowner's association. Let them work it out.