Should I go to college?

I used 12 years of my life doing homework and going to school and being one of the best students and no one paid me anything. Is there any guarantee that using 4 years and going into thousands of dollars of debt is going to get me a good high paying job? I'm just a kid and I don't even have any idea what I want to do. It seems like a weird thing to do just because my parents say so.

• cool
    Favorite Answer

No.

Let's take the job of data wrangler/cleaner for instance, it requires SQL and python programming, but no educational qualifications.

College does not guarantee a well paid job, but it does guarantee that you will be less able to save money. Being less able to save means taking a longer time to start a family, get married or buy your first home (there are problems with mortgages too of course, the etymology means 'death pledge').

If you only went because your parents told you too, you would take 5 years to graduate with a major that isn't in demand. That is much more of a problem than the mythical 'issues' involved in not going to university at all.

Some of the arguments here are so pathetic, you can sense the desperation of indoctrinated teachers/parents. Somebody said that college graduates earn $900,000 more over a lifetime.

Well for a start, most who go to college do not graduate in 4 years and many do not graduate at all. Any 'extra earnings' have to be weighed against the opportunity cost of not going at all, and also any student debt.

The lifetime statistics come from graduates of the older generations, they went to university at a time when university was more selective...

'New collar' jobs provide ways to get good careers without time wasted at university, look it up.

Yes its a good thing to go to college, Just get a degree develop your skillsets over there surely degree will be a backbone for your career. Currently Machine Learning is one of the advanced technology developments so get to know more about it...

Yeah you should

• Stasia

you will be able to get a job.

• Kate

There is no absolute guarantee that college will ensure you a great job. My advice is to take a gap year, do whatever work is available an then consider what you want to do. Certainly some jobs will require a Certificate or Degree but it sounds as though you have plenty of time to decide. I did not go to University until I was in my 30's and did 2 different degrees. The biggest thing you will learn is critical and divergent thinking which is useful in any job.

Go to college bro! As mentioned before all kinds of scholarships & grants that you can get to help you with going to college! And getting a high paying job doesn’t mean ultimate happiness! Look at fields that are always in demand & determine what you would want to pursue from thee

• John

Neither going to college, technical school, graduating high school, or even learning to read and write in grade school will guarantee you will get a high paying job. Doing one or more of those things, on the other hand, vastly increases your chances of actually getting such a job. Conversely, if you elect to hang around in your room for the rest of your life playing video games, your chances of getting a good job will decline.

To help your outlook regarding not getting paid, I would recommend you look at that situation differently. Mom and Dad most likely didn't make you pay room and board, and you can bet they spent thousands every year providing you with food, shelter, and clothing. Doing homework for food and a roof is a good deal.

• oikoσ

You don't know what to do, now. College gives you guidance and more time to decide. If you don't want to go all that far into debt, go to your state college and work your way through. Some people prefer taking the first two years at a community college. There's always the possibility of getting a scholarship too. You'd be surprised at how many are unfilled because nobody applied for some oddball scholarship. Talk to your guidance counsellor or do your own research.

• :)

No one paid you anything? You’re supposed to do well to advance yourself. What kind of compensation did you need? Are you taking about awards, scholarships, honors, etc? Very confused.

Statistically, not going to college or trade school or the military is not very promising for anyone. But do what you want !

Yes college is always a good thing