Roy asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Why does my cat play in the trash?!?

My daughters cat jumps in the trash and makes a mess every night. why?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

I will strangle the cat for you

• J C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Because it's fun - and potentially dangerous. Either take the trash out each night before bed, or invest in a sturdy can with a lid. Never ever throw things that can be deadly to cats in it - cooked bones, spoiled food, and so on. We had to go with a sturdy can with a lid, and a lever at the bottom that opens the lid when you step on it. It's heavy enough that it cannot be tipped over. But we do remove any 'interesting' waste from the house each dinner time - this way the trash is a lot less tempting. We put it into a grocery store bag, and all litter is scooped into it - this happens 2-3 times a day. Between that and the heavy can, we have no issues any more.

• 6 months ago

A small percentage of cats are attracted to chemicals commonly used in plastic bags. If it's trash in a bag, that could be a factor. You might need a trash can with a lid that completely closes.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Cats like to play with things. They are probably trying to find something to play with or food to eat (my cats found food from the trash everyday).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • donnie
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Because either curiosity or the cat thinks something is in there for him/her. If you catch the cat in the trash get a spray bottle and spray the cat with water. Maybe also keep the cat in a cage until he or she learns how to behave.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.