Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

Is Great Expectations worth the read?

• Andrew

You mean "Would it be worth it for ME to read it?" I don't know. I've never met you and I don't have any idea what kind of books you enjoy. In terms of Dickens, it's one of his simplest and most approachable works. It's far less dense than say "Bleak House", so if you're looking to familiarise yourself with Dickens, it's a great place to start. There are better novels out there. But it's also one of those books that everybody has read, so if you're the type of person who thinks it's important to have read the 250 novels that everyone else has read, it's a must. It's one of the few Dickens novels I ever go back to on occasion, and I think it's a solid book, but Dickens stuff in general hasn't aged well and there are a few elements of his style that I find to be absolutely exasperating, but the book in question is not a particularly bad offender in those areas. You might try reading the first 50 pages and see how it grabs you.

A great many people have found it so, over a period of many many decades.

yes Great Exceptions is worth the read.

.......................Great what?

• Joe

Sure it is...as long as you don't have great expectations.

It's written in the 1800's style, which means it's long, drawn out and does NOT get to the point very fast. If you can read it and not get bored, then yes, do so.

Read it and decide for yourself. You can't determine if you will appreciate something just because some else did.. People have different taste

It is if you have to read it for class (as I did). It certainly wasn't my favorite book, but it was better than Moby Dick.

I had great expectations about the book...

Sadly I didn't find it as interesting as I thought I would. Felt quite bored throughout, and I usually love Dickens.

I loved Copperfield, Especially the crazy aunt and Heep!

Yes .