Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

How to get a frightened cat to trust you ?

Just adopted this 3 year old boy cat today and he shakes all the time and hides behind the sofas and runs when you come close to him. I guess this is because we are new to him and it’s a new environment. He won’t eat anything or come out from hiding. I’ve tried hand feeding him and stroking him no luck. How do I gain his trust ? What tactics are there to make him comfortable and and confident?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

Euthanasia is the only option, I'm afraid, if a cat is antisocial.

• Layne
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Cats are mistrustful if they have been hurt, but they will slowly warm up to you.

• 6 months ago

Just make sure there is plenty of food and fresh water. He will eat, probably when you're not looking. Give him time to get use to you and your home. Don't force anything. If he's sitting somewhere, just talk to him, maybe a quick pat on the head so he knows you won't hurt him. He's just scared now, but he will adjust.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

When you get a new cat, its best to confine the cat in one room in the house as everything is overwhelming for most cats. Try getting him into your bedroom and put the litter pan, food and water dishes in there. He can adjust quicker to you with your scent on things and will feel less afraid and more willing to check things out when you are sleeping.

Use boiled chicken pieces (bite size) to bribe him - sit on the floor and talk softly to him and offer the chicken.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

His small brain will eventually figure out you're the one who's feeding him.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Leave him alone for now. Sitting on the floor may encourage him to come out and investigate you. When he does, don't try to touch him. Let him check you out and when he seems comfortable, try to pet him. It often takes a week or more for them to get comfortable in a new environment. Since you don't know what happened to him before you got him, he's going to have to learn to trust again. They eventually do if you don't pressure them too much.

• 6 months ago

try to feed it regularly to build trust and also stroke and play with them as well to build a bond.

• 6 months ago

Cats have distinct personalities, and some are much more skittish than others. I got a cat who was only a few weeks old, bottle fed it, and have now had it for 8+ years. It still hides all the time and acts like it's afraid of me. Its mother was feral and that's just the cat's innate way.

Most cats will warm up to you if you give them time, though.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Let him get used to you.

If he wants to hide, let him.

He'll come out if he wants to eat.

Talk to him in a soothing tone of voice.

Think of it from his perspective - you are way larger than he is, he's in a strange place, and may have previously been abused.

I follow a person on Twitter who had this same experience with a cat. Lesson he learned - let the cat decide what's comfortable for him.

https://twitter.com/JoshKrugerPHL

Scroll back to his posts from last winter (October/November 2018). You can do that without signing up for Twitter. He adopted a shy, frightened stray who wouldn't come out from behind a chair. Months later, the cat was sitting on the couch with Josh, watching TV

• 6 months ago

Takes time. Keep doing what you are dojng

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.