quaverflava asked in SportsCycling · 5 months ago

If I m 6ft. What frame size do I need for a mountain bike? T?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Another vote for "The is is NO magical formula." Roughly, it'll be in the 19" to 20" range. Not every person 6' tall has the same proportions. Some have a long torso but shorter legs. Some...vice-versa. Then there's reach from the saddle to the handlebar, which is WAY more important than simply stand-over height.

Rule #1 - TRY before you buy.

Rule #2 - If confused, see rule #1

If you're thinking about an internet sale...DON'T. I recently met a person who bought a bike from Bikes Direct. A) It came with missing parts. He had to contact them - then wait another week for the missing parts to arrive. B) It was so out-of-tune - he took it to a bike shop for final adjustments. All said & done...he spent more than if he had just bought a bike locally.

• 5 months ago

Different frame builders have different ways of determining the sizing, so - unless you want to go to a real life shop as megalomaniac or Mtrlpqbiker suggested - your third best bet is to check with the documentation/website of the frame builder of your choice.

Your best bet? Instead of going to any arbitrary shop and trying out different frames, go to a shop that has a measurement frame (and people trained to use it). That's a frame mockup where every relevant measurement can be adjusted to your body, and from the final setup, a frame that fits you can be selected.

• 5 months ago

Megalomaniac makes a good point about body proportions. In addition, frame sizing can differ somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer. There is probably no single frame size that will fit you perfectly from all bike companies. As well, some companies will measure the size in inches, some European companies measure in centimetres, and other companies use a small, medium large and extra large size for their bikes. The best way to go about this is to get fitted by a bike shop on a few bikes, then go to the company website and compare the frame geometry charts for each of the bikes you looked at. That will give you a basis of comparison for bikes from other companies. With 45 years of cycling experience, I can go to a company website, choose a model, and figure out in a minute or two which size is the best fit for me

• 5 months ago

Not everyone with the same overall height has the same proportions (i.e. leg length versus torso length, and arm length can make a difference). There is also personal preference. Ideally for performance you shouldn't be able to touch your feet to the ground comfortably while you are in the saddle. For comfort you want a lower seat height / frame size. The best thing is to try out different frame sizes and see what feels right for you and/or your riding style.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.