Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 6 months ago

Ramadan - Is it true that you are not allowed to eat or drink anything standing up?

Of course I always sit down and eat but let’s say I go to the kitchen to drink a glass of water I drink it standing up is this a sin?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's better to sit, but God does not prohibit it while standing. It's more important to say bismillah as the Quran teach us.

The hadith literature is quite contradicting even though people might say it's "not allowed".

Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying:

None of you should drink while standing; and if anyone forgets, he must vomit.

(Sahih Muslim 2026)

Narrated An-Nazzal:

Ali came to the gate of the courtyard (of the Mosque) and drank (water) while he was standing and said, "Some people dislike to drink while standing, but I saw the Prophet (ﷺ) doing (drinking water) as you have seen me doing now."

(Sahih al-Bukhari 5615)

• Kenzie
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If standing while drinking a glass of water is a sin maybe you should rethink the beliefs of your religion.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes, the Prophet Muhammad, peace & blessings be upon him, said to not drink while standing and you are to sit down, then you say 'In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate and the Most Merciful' or 'In the Name of Allah' and you drink. Meaning, 'In the Name of Allah, I drink' that is why you always begin with Allah's Names such as I have mentioned. Afterwards, you are to thank Allah for providing you a drink or quenching your thirst.

Also, When you're about to eat, you are to sit down and then you say, 'In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,' and then you eat..which means, 'In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, Most Merciful, I eat'.

Each time you begin with Allah's Names, it means you eat or drink in the Name of Allah as it is an official beginning of an act you're about to do and its part of your submission. When you say, 'In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, Most Merciful', its as though you've said the full Names of Allah, the complete Names of Allah and because Ar-Rahman {Most Compassionate} and Ar-Raheem {Most Mericful} are the core, central Names of Allah and each time you see the Beautiful Names of Allah in the Holy Wise Quran its to remind the believers of Allah's Compassion and Allah's Merciful so that the believers always remember there is hope.

Furthermore, before you begin something and you say Allah's Names first, you are seeking refuge in Allah from the accursed satan from meddling in with your life, your food, your actions, your intentions and everything else you do. You are seeking Allah's guardianship, Allah's safety for Allah to protect and to guard whatever you are entrusting with Allah and Allah is the Best Guardian, the Best Protector. No devil can interfere and can't interfere with your food either.

Additionally, the devils or satan can't eat, drink, etc anything that belongs you after you've begun with Allah's Names. Anything that is not said over Allah's Names, is NOT protected and it belongs to satan.

Whenever you disobey these etiquette and rules of Allah that has plenty of benefits and protection and you don't say Allah's Names whenever you're about to do something or about to eat or drink, it belongs to Satan.

Satan will eat with you, its the devil's meal now and no longer yours. Its his sustenance simply because you didn't say in the Name of the Lord. And satan enjoys disturbing you in some way and you won't get much satisfaction from the food or drink you wanted to enjoy.

Although, each time you say 'In the Name of Allah, the Most Compassionate, Most Merciful' and you thank Allah afterwards as well, there are many benefits for you from Allah.

Allah Azza Wajal will erase your sins, Allah will forgive you and Allah may even reward you and may reward you out of His generosity as well. Allah is most kind to whomever He wants. And because you have begun your meals or drink in the Beautiful Names of Allah and Allah appreciates, Allah rewards, Allah protects.

• It’s true it’s haram.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

There are contradictory hadith on the subject.

• 6 months ago

Yeah you should sit down when drinking and eating

Islamically speaking

There’s also health benefits to sitting down when eating and drinking

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I don't think so. If it is, Islam is dafter than most think :)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.