manononbre asked in SportsMartial Arts · 10 months ago

Does it really happen for people to pay to teachers that don't really teach them?

In some martial art schools i see very advanced students who aren't taught by their master anymore and yet seem to pay them money. Idk if that's the case but it sure looks odd.

• Steel

When I was a young man (18 or 19 years of age), I began attending a local school because it was the only game in town at the time my previous teacher stopped teaching. Shortly thereafter, I began training with my sifu, but since he lived 120 miles away, we agreed that I would learn material with him, but stay enrolled in this other school for consistent training, mainly for exercise and stretching.

Having already been a black belt in a different system, it wasn't long before I was courted by this school (which was run like a corporate franchise) to be an assistant instructor. This also meant that I would have to attend their "instructor's college" in a nearby city as well. So, in essence, while I was still technically "learning" there, I was:

1) paying my regular tuition,

2) teaching group classes for free, and

3) paying for instructor's college.

It only took me two months (two months too long!) to realize this place was bilking me for money in three different ways. Luckily, a new school opened shortly thereafter that more closely resembled what my sifu taught and was a much better fit all around.

So, in this true anecdotal story, you can see there are many ways schools can generate revenue without even having to teach. I'm glad I learned that lesson relatively quickly, and regret that I didn't learn it more quickly than I did.

• Lv 4

very excellent answer

• Bon

Yes. Did you seriously think all schools are legit and paying someone automatically means you are going to be taught. This is not isolated to just martial art, but ANY school.

The martial art scene is a buyer beware market. There are many fraudulent people and schools teaching (or not) and they are only in it for the money they can rake from an unsuspecting uninformed newbie. We even have a name for them: McDojo, McKwan, McDojang...

• Lv 4

good answer, regrettably

In a way it makes sense. advanced students and lower blackbelts need to teach and practice teaching. This is also how knowledge is passed down. Not always direct from instructor.

Where i study i will learn something from my instructor. Than latter it would be my fellow students who go over things with me. Or my instructor will tell that senior student i am training with, what to teach me.

It is not always a direct learning from the instructor.

Also you still have to pay your monthly dues even if you do not go or are teaching a class.

Again the school needs to keep its lights on. The senior students and lower blackbelts need to teach.

@Todd Sorry if you only knew what kata or forms are really good for. And too bad you did not have a good school or did they actually know the instructor, teacher, student philosophy of teaching.

• Lv 4

good answer; also, depends on how its done & authenticity of the material, eg, more advanced persons develop skills while demonstrating techniques, and there can be more advanced classes; learning correct instructional technique is good; however, unauthentic places may be merely exploiting people

• Todd

Yes, I was a junior black belt at age 12. My parents paid for the training. But, I'll be honest, I didn't learn a thing. Did I get some exercise? Sure, but I didn't learn much about fighting. A round rick or back kick or back fist, I mean seriously? That's not how you really fight.

The only thing is how to remember rote katas, which do nothing for fighting skills.