Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 6 months ago

The word WELP? (Yes, with a P) Is that a regional variation of WELL?

I've been reading some books by Kristen Ashley, and she uses WELP in place of WELL quite often. Like "Welp, got to go now." The first few times I saw it, I thought it was a spelling error, but it reappears in many of her books. Is that commonly used? Thank you for your response.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It’s not regional so much as generational — the different spelling came from people on social media trying to represent a certain inflection of “well” that is used to signal discomfort, or to say the results are exactly as expected (usually negative).

For example:

Me: “Did you invite your sister to the party?”

You: “Yeah, but you know she’ll make up some crazy excuse not to come...”

[your phone buzzes to announce incoming text; you read it..]

“Welp — apparently, she’s been trampled by a herd of emus.”

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

In southern Britain, in nearly 70 years, I have not come across "welp", and my spell checker does not recognise it. I do know "whelp" (recognised!) as an informal word meaning "youngster". I assume that "welp" is a dialect variation if it appears in books. Where is K A based?

• 6 months ago

yes, regional variation. (southern slang??) maybe a "push together" of "Well, yup (or yep), I gotta go now."

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Adding a P sound at the end of a word makes it more emphatic, as in yep and nope.

• 6 months ago

sort of. some people do say something about like welp. I think it is more a youth term than a regional one. I definitely SEE welp a lot more than I used to, on many internet forums.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Cara
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

That would be a way of showing the way "well" is said in this context - said quickly, closing the mouth immediately, not actually sounding the "p". Try it!

• 6 months ago

It is sometimes, usually a redneck or lower class way of saying well.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.