How can I fix my computer monitor? It says, "Boot device not found. Please install an operating system on your hard disk."?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Before making any changes on your hard disk make sure first that you do not have any USB flash drive connected on your PC or else Boot sequence will look for Boot Device on your USB Drive. remove any connected USB drive, CD ROM, DVD ROM disks and restart your PC. if same message appeared, then check your BIOS Setup if your hard disk is being detected(Make sure you did not disconnect any peripherals on the mother board) if not then you need to change your hard disk.

• 3 months ago

just reinstall your windows.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

It's not your monitor. It's your hard disk. It seems to be missing.

If it's in your CPU, it's either broken, not connected, or not configured correctly in the BIOS. For the first, replace and reinstall everything from scratch. For the second, attach all cables properly and it should work. If the last, go to BIOS and make sure settings are correct.

• David
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Unfortunately this is a typical error when the hard drive fails or becomes corrupted. You need to take the computer to a repair shop where they can repair or replace the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. It sounds as though you don't have the skills to do this yourself

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 months ago

your monitor is fine. your hard disk is not. it needs a technician

• 3 months ago

that isn't a monitor problem. The monitor is giving you the notice, I assume, which means it is working.

The boot device (where the computer gets told the system operating instructions) is usually the hard drive (the error even says so). Having a "no boot device" warning is a pretty scary thing, because it means that your operating system cannot be read, and presumably you used to have one, so if it cannot be read now, that means something seriously wrong with your computer.

Presumably, the hard drive is corrupt and operating system cannot be read. This can be fixed, but it is not a simple thing for someone not familiar with computers.

The usual way to go about testing for where the problem lies is to boot the computer with a cd containing the operating system, and then test from there. Don't do any formatting or wiping of any memory until you figure out the problem, or you will lose everything on the hard drive, and that ain't no fun at all.

Unless you have already done that and this is why there is no operating system. I hope not for your sake.

• 3 months ago

This could be hardware or software issues

You would likely need to try to reinstall the Windows Operating System.

Probably best for you to take the computer to a local computer repair store.

• 3 months ago

The monitor is fine.

The computer cannot find an operating system on any boot device (such as the hard disk or a CD or DVD).

• Ron
    Lv 7
    3 months ago
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.