Why are women laughed at when they say they don’t want children?

I’m 23, since I was like 12 I knew I never wanted children. Everyone says I’ll change my mind but I’ve felt this way for the majority of my life.. like I think I would know more about what I want than other people thinking they know what I want. But if a man, even if he’s younger than me, says he doesn’t want kids, nobody questions them....

Favorite Answer

I'm in the same boat. Im 28 years old and female. I always knew I didnt want kids since I was a kid. When I told my mom this, she said I was too young to understand and would change my mind. Well low and behold I have not changed my mind, decades later. But during this time absolutely everyone in my life and demanded that I have kids. I dont understand the obsession. Not every woman has a natural instinct to reproduce, contrary to popular belief. And people need to just mind their own business in the first place. I cant stand it when they say I will change my mind. I am a grown woman, I am pretty sure I know myself and what I want. And if I do change my mind, that's still not anyone's business but my own. My best advice to you is to learn to ignore it and let it go or else it will drive you completely insane. I let it drive me insane, and now I feel very upset with certain people because of it. You know it's not their business so dont worry about it.

I don't know anyone who laughs at someone who says they don't want kids, male or female. My outlook would be who cares? If someone judges me for my reproductive choices, it means nothing to me. If they're that ignorant, they're useless.

Sexism, unfortunately.

• edward

Who said they don’t question men? I used to not want kids and everyone asked me why, they looked disappointed. When i got older yes i want kids, when i got married me and my wife started a family right away, we didn’t wait that long to start one. We both want more kids but we want our son to be at least 1 before we decide to have more

unlike a man, you have the equipment to produce a baby...........they just think you should put it to use

• not

Someone laughs? Wow, the company you keep.

You will enjoy foods in the future that you refuse to eat now. I guarantee it.

An interesting bit of wisdom I've learned: she thinks she can change him meanwhile he wants her to stay the same. Both are opposite of what will happen. I don't expect men to change much meanwhile do expect women to change, life has shown me this. Maybe that's why your pals laugh.

It’s just a stereotype for women. In society, we are expected to be caregivers and have been since the human race was born. Our sole purpose was to be reproducers. I’ve also known i don’t want kids for a while and get the sameeee reaction. It’s just society and you defying the rules of what people expect and grew up to know. Nothing wrong with our decision, it’s just not what people expect!