Is it okay to do veterinary procedures on your own pet, if you aren't a veterinarian?

My dog has a very large cyst. It will be very expensive to get a very invasive procedure done, by a specialist veterinarian. I can't even afford a consultation with a specialist veterinarian. My dad, a radiologist for humans, has offered to do a procedure on my dog which they do on humans who have cysts. This... show more My dog has a very large cyst. It will be very expensive to get a very invasive procedure done, by a specialist veterinarian. I can't even afford a consultation with a specialist veterinarian. My dad, a radiologist for humans, has offered to do a procedure on my dog which they do on humans who have cysts. This procedure is relatively safe, and easy.

The traditional procedure would involve removing the entire cyst physically. This procedure that my dad offered involves pulling out the cyst fluid, and injecting the cyst with tetracycline, which destroys the lining of the cyst, and then the cyst shrinks down on its own.
If I could afford it, I would go to the specialist vet, and ask if this is a procedure they could do. They might say they've never heard of it, or they might say that have. They might say they'd be willing to try it, or they might insist on doing the more invasive traditional procedure. Either way, I would have to pay a couple hundred bucks just to be seen, and then an ungodly amount of money for the actual operation. Meanwhile my dad can do this other, "safer," procedure for free.

My current plan, before my dad offered to do this, was to leave it alone and let my dog live with it for the rest of her life. My dads offer is very tempting. It also seems slightly unethical. In a way, it could be more ethical than any other option. How ill advised would it be to let my dad do a veterinary procedure on my dog?