Lead dust exposure?

Paint has been chipping from the ceiling of my house for a few weeks now and yesterday it was my turn to sweep the large pant chips that have just fallen. Some of the dust from the paint irritated me. My house is old (built in 1927) but that part of the house was painted in the 90s. What are the chances that the paint under is lead based and that I just had lead exposure? I was only picking up pieces for a little while. I would say a couple of seconds. Also plaster was placed underneath and the top was painted

slim to none since lead was removed from all paints back in the 70's

It's just lead. It won't attack you. It just lies there. As long as you don't eat it or breath it in you are good. I assume you are smart enough to NOT eat it? And you are not gonna breath it in unless it is in powder form. And any cheap inexpensive mask will work fine. So will a bandana. Or a towel. Or a T-shirt.

I mean really. How smart do you have to be to be smarter than a lump of metal?

• gerald

its probably lime irritating you lime wash was used also to deter insects in the old days it was for barns etcetera but people wanting a cheap paint used it it is an irritant have a nice day

zero exposure ...it was not added to ceiling paint ..it was added to oil based paints that was used for skirtings etc

Lead is mostly important ingested by kids over time that are growing. You exposure is really inconsequential. I agree with M Johnson

If the house is circa 1927, spray down the paint chips with water before sweeping. Lead exposure from paint has been greatly exaggerated given the number of smart eighty year old folks walking around today and trying to be or run for President. Lead (and mercury) also makes for a mirror finish on grand pianos. I worked with lead in my vocation, as do stained glass window folks, fisherman and bullet re-loaders. However, before sanding lead, I wore a dusk mask and made sure it was fluid soaked. Wear a dust mask and use a spray bottle filled with water and soap before dislodging it and do the same when cleaning it up. Children eating the chips are the things scary documentaries are made of. Odds are there is lead in the undercoats of your paint, but zero odds you are exposed to it while it is intact and repainted, and then only minutely when the chips fall as only the edges could expose lead paint..