My house is falling apart?

have a 3 bedroom house in Minnesota with a basement I bought 2 years ago.A dead tree 20 feet from my house in front and a live tree 10 feet from my house in the back. My house it currently shifting somewhere as doors that previously closed and opened are not anymore. And new cracks are appearing in drywall. There are OLD cracks in the basement foundation. My house is also infested with active wood boring beetles. (Powder post) . Where should I start? There are somethings I think I can do myself like removing soil that is going all the way up to the sill that I could remove and start treating my home with a Bora based pesticide. But how will I know that is the root problem of my home shifting? Should I attempt this myself? The house was built in 1950. Thank you

• mokrie
    Favorite Answer

You have foundation problems causing the shifting. You may also need a professional service to handle the insect problem since they are probably eating the beams under your house. You may need to replace a couple and they would run a couple thousand each. Each of those 3 problems need to be done by professionals. It would cost a good bit of money but worth it to save the house. Once work is done then you can repaint inside yourself.

you probably have a moisture and water problem, are there any leaking pipes, I live in oregon and I have noticed some shifting in the doors not closing as well too.

BTW what part of Minnesota you live at? my aunt and uncle run a farm in fillmore county, I just talked to them today btw.

Buyer beware? Did the house pass inspection? (You may be able to recover some $ based on a bad report.)

You have neglected it far too long. Either bulldoze it and start over or sell it to someone who will bulldoze it and start over. Unstable ground is extremely costly to stabilize. Extremely! The house isn't in good enough shape to save. Bulldoze it, stabilize the ground, and then build what you want. If you can't afford it, sell it and don't neglect your next place or you might end up with something you cannot sell. You might have that now. Well, you might be able to sell it but, for less than what you have into it.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Real Estate law experience.

This doesn't sound worth fixing. I think you should consider tearing down the house and building a new one. Or moving and selling the land to a developer.

"Where should I start?"

By consulting professionals who know what the heck they are doing to help you properly maintain your home.

???