Reducing damp in basement.?

So I've just moved into my new basement bedroom but i'm concerned about damp, there is a odd smell in the room and I've had some of my electronics give me moisture warnings. I've looked at electric dehumidifiers but they're quite expensive and i'm concerned about noise, does anyone know a cheaper or DIY options, additionally is there anything other issues I should look out for?

water ingress points must be stopped,whether from rain,pipe leaks,dampness because the foundation and slab allow water to vape inside

get a dehumidifier to dry everything out,there are hoses that drain water from the apparatus into

a waste pipe somewhere,,if you have one,otherwise you empty the water catcher about once every 24 hrs.

UV lights can help kill molds & fungal cooties

I recently gutted the original 1927 section of my house. I did not want to pay for a rental truck to haul three rooms of furniture to a rental facility and then haul them back, and paying two guys to do that job for me So, I looked into having a Pod delivered to my property for my furniture storage. The price was reasonable for rental fees, but high when you add drop off delivery, rental and pick up. So, I got the bright idea to rent a U-Haul for $29.00 per day. The 'free miles' would be consumed by driving the truck back and forth to my property. And, to have a movable storage truck on the property meant that I could move it when dumpsters needed to be dropped off and picked up. A great solution to my unique needs. It was summertime and I knew the rental truck would be humid and ruin my furniture, so I bought a dehumidifier and ran an extension cord to the truck. My furniture was bone dry for three weeks. And, it was not noisy either. I was so surprised to see how much water drained out of the humidifier hose line that I rigged to drain out of the truck. Unless you have a drain in your basement, you will need to empty the reservoir daily.

My basement pipes used to bead up with water, making my basement damp. I installed vents in the duct work so the A/C conditioned the air.

Dampness in a basement is caused by...water, of course. So, go outside and look around the building to see how well rain water drains from the building. If it puddles near the foundation, you need to grade the yard so the water drains away from the house. Also, if you have gutters, check the downspouts and where that water flows. Some minor adjustments in drainage issues can make a huge difference in basement moisture issues. If you have no gutters, you may want to consider installing them. they are not all that expensive. You and your dad or a buddy can most likely install them. See how they are installed on how-to tutorials and get cracking!!

The reason basements are damp is because the air is cooler down there and thus the humidity (relative humidity - relative to temperature) goes up. Try increasing the temperature down there and see if it doesn't get "drier".

The Dollar Store has a desiccant canister for RVs. Larger than Dri-Z-Aire and cheaper. Put one by each of the electronics

If your basement has a window air condition your basement. It's not that expensive. You should at least have an exhaust fan that's constantly moving fresh air through your basement which is dirt cheap

• Joseph

Pick up a second hand dehumidifier at a garage sale or flea market