Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 months ago

fearing for my dad?

quick back story I'm 17 my mother passed away years ago and my dad yesterday got drunk and burst out crying to me telling me that he hates his life and that he wants to end it and that he misses my mother and it hurt me to see him like that I've never saw him cry nor have I ever seen him weak or talk about how he wants to kill himself and I'm worried he is going to do something stupid and I don't know what to do I've not slept since and I can't keep my mind of what he said its driving me crazy what should I do?

Have a heart to heart with Dad. Tell him you still need him and you need him to be healthy enough to function as your parent. Urge him to get into the belated grief counseling he needs and keep reiterating that you love him and can't face your future without him.

just go give him a hug when he talks like that

I am so sorry to read about what you and your dad are going through. My heart goes out to you.

There are 5 stages of grief. A person has to go through ALL 5 to recover from the death of a loved one. Please ask your father to consider going to a grief support group. He will meet people who have gone through what he is going through, and they can help him navigate the 5 stages of grief.

The one I know about is called GriefShare, although there are probably others too. There are GriefShare meetings throughout the U. S. and Canada. He can find a group close to home by going to https://www.griefshare.org/findagroup.

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-TALK [8255]) is a United States-based suicide prevention network of 161 crisis centers that provides a 24/7, toll-free hotline available to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. After... wikipedia.org Please encourage your father to contact them, or do so yourself. Stay with him until the crisis appears to have passed and help is on the way. Remove any possible means of suicide that you can think of, e.g., guns, ammunition, rope, etc. But do understand that if someone is determined to end their life, you won't be able to stop them and it won't be your fault.

Tell him you love him and that it would destroy you , if he chose to end his life. Good luck and good wishes,

• Tj

Get the number of a therapist that deal with grief. Try to get him to go. Tell him that you do not want to loose him too. If he wants, you can go with him.