Are car insurance inspections fair?

My car was rear ended at work and I'm getting it inspected at one of their sites Tuesdays. They said they cut you the check right away. I chose this option instead of a repair place because I'm going to be moving very soon so I want to take my time getting it repaired. Lots going on and I just didn't need this.

In your experience, were these inspection checks fair?

Thank you :)

• Edna

Usually, they're fair, IF the insurance adjuster who looks at your car is from YOUR insurance company. If it's the other guy's insurance adjuster, he might try to low-ball you. You DON'T have to accept it.

If the damage is only cosmetic and your car is drivable, then take your insurance company's check and get your car repaired AFTER you move. Of course, the repairs might cost more at a repair shop in your new town, but that's a chance you'll have to take, if you wait to have it repaired.

If your car is financed, you have no choice - you HAVE to have it repaired somewhere. The check you receive from your insurance company will be made payable to you and the repair shop where you got the estimate you submitted.

• lucy

These inspection places are usually "preferred" body shops that the insurance company uses.

So, they need to know how (much) damages you had from this rear accident. So this shop will have an estimate to submit to the insurance company and once the insurance receives the estimate, then will pay (you) the amount of the estimate.

If you choose to fix or just cash the check, is (your) option to fix it or not. It is legal to cash the check and not fix the car, but if you choose not to fix and if there are more problems later, then you have (no) recourse.

Source(s): retired auto adjuster
  • JetDoc

Any cash the insurance company gives you will be THEIR idea of what it will cost to repair the damage. NOT necessarily what the actual cost will be sometime down the road. If it costs more to repair sometime in the future, they won't give you any more money. Of course, you can just put the money in your pocket and NOT get it repaired at all... Your choice.

• May

How would we know if these inspections are fair? It may be "fair" to one person and not "fair" to the next. Besides, your inspection hasn't happened yet.

I have used such a service and it was "fair" for me. If I had driven up and they offered a settlement which I didn't think was fair, I would have driven away without settling.

• ?

Who is "they"? The other guy's insurance company? They're out to pay you as little as possible. Their figure will be based on their lowball guess of repair costs.

Get estimates from three body shops of your choosing.

Yes. Rear ended means getting rammed in the rear so mainly body and bumper damage...and tail light damage. Usually not frame bending damage (though there could be). What is going to happen is either they inspect your car for emissions and safety check and put a foot note that you have to RETURN to complete the inspection...after the repairs are done or the car cannot be put on the road starting TODAY.

.It really depends on the extent of the damage. Fenders and rear hood is just cosmetics...and not a safety concern. You can drive it looking like a El Cheapo car so long as the tail lights work and the rear axle did not get hit.

. They can see that right away. They will tell you what they will allow through and how you fail. Having an ugly car is never a failure.

. Just not a great car for picking up chicks,

don'tchaknow?

YEs because what if something does really happen. Then what happens?

You should get the repairs done asap. There are very often damages the adjuster cant see, and the body shop has to clear it with the ins before they can proceed. You MAY have problems imo if you wait very long to get it taken care of. The ins co may balk at the extra costs.

• Catherine6 months agoReport

Ah, ok. I've already gotten estimates from two shops. Seems just cosmetic, but I will go ahead and try to get it done ASAP.