Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

What would you pair with Tater tot casserole?

For those of you that don't know, ttc is mainly a mix of ground beef, cream of mushroom soup with a few herbs and spices thrown in. Topped with tater tots and them baked.

My manager is getting some pretty major surgery done in about a week and I wanted to make him some food to help out some.

I got those tinfoil like trays, but they came in a two pack. they are about the size of a sheet of paper and 2" deep.'

So I need one more thing to make. I was thinking cornbread... but would that be to heavy? Plus, weightwatchers.

Also, o just found out he's on weight watchers. Would ground turkey be better than the beef?

Something to make in the second tray so I don't have this random thing laying around, I hate waste.

As one person pointed out, I forgot to mention the French cut beans in the recipe.

• Jane

Firstly, I love the way you are being so thoughtful about him!

Yeah, I guess you've understood that your recipe idea is very not suitable for someone watching their weight and general health.

Best thing is to ask him what he likes to eat, what will suit his dietary needs, and what would be easy for him to cook, eat and digest when he gets home from surgery- rather than just making up ideas of your own, made from high fat ingredients.

So he may welcome some healthy main course dishes that can be made and frozen in individual portions rather than the tray size you have described that would feed 4-6. I.e. some things he can quickly microwave for himself if he is tired and doesn't want too much fuss and prep. I often make such things for elderly relatives and neighbours ( he isn't elderly but may be feeling a bit below par and want easy healthy tasty stuff)- eg. home-made chicken noodle soup, veg pasta/rice bake, chilli or curry if he likes spicy food.

And I think he may very well fancy something sweet like a tray of brownies or lemon drizzle cake.

Remember to get some nice fruit for him too- fresh or frozen, can be made into smoothies or chopped into a bowl of muesli.

Check he has the basics like milk and bread.

Your intentions are good but this idea sounds horrid.

green beans ,,,

If she is on WW I would suggest NOT making a Tater Tot Casserole.

How about a Veggie Lasagna.

Make your pasta sauce how ever you usually make it (meat is ok)

Layer the lasagna using Roasted Butternut squash, or Zucchini Or I use eggplant. I dip the eggplant in a bit of beaten egg then dip in grated cheese then bake until brown then turn over and cook that until it is brown.

Use the eggplant just like the lasagna noodles.

Another option

Roasted Ratatouille. A mixture of eggplant, zucchini, onion,red peppers, tomato, toss in some garlic. Drizzle with olive oil add some salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Roast until the veggies are browned. Toss on some cheese at the end if you like. this is good as is but left overs are great turned into a pasta sauce.

If he's on weight watchers, scratch the idea of a tater tot casserole. If he does eat it, he will feel guilty, and might blame you. Make him a nice spinach and Swiss cheese quiche:

Ingredients

• 2 cups shredded swiss cheese

• 1 frozen pie crust

• 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach

• 1 cup egg whites or 3 eggs

• 1 cup fat free cream

• 1 teaspoon onion powder

• 1/4 teaspoon white pepper

• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

• 4 slices fresh tomato

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bottom of the pie crust. Sprinkle with spinach, then the remaining cheese.

Beat eggs, cream, onion powder, and white pepper until thoroughly combined. Pour into the pie crust and sprinkle the top with nutmeg. Add sliced fresh tomato.

Place quiche on baking sheet and bake 40-45 minutes, or until filling is set. Let cool on a wire rack 5 minutes.

If you want, you can take a caesar salad kit from the grocery for a side.

Pesto-bismol?

I would try something more like chicken soup or a hearty vegetable soup. A tater tot casserole after surgery would be ... just wrong ...

• Groovy_Unicorn

I agree, after being ill you dont really want heavy foods. Chicken soup, some bread, maybe jello for dessert... tater tot casserole is funeral food

• denise

A nice roasted vegetable tray bake using ; - zucchini, red & yellow bell pepper, onion wedges, eggplant, butternut squash e.t.c.

Just drizzle with a little oil, salt+pepper, a little balsamic [If liked], a sprinkle of thyme would add to this dish.

• Mr. P

Good old fashioned apple pie in the other dish.

• Eva

None of what you propose would pass the weight watchers test.

• Tavy

It sounds revolting. Never heard of tater tots here in the

UK. I would prefer fruit and chocolates.